Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Can a CD auto changer be fitted with B9010 unit.

Conrod

Hi guys I have a B9010 fitted is it possible to fit Toyota's TM0461 6 CD multi changer ? There is a CD changer plug socket at the back of the unit but can't find any information of it having been done.....any help please :)

It depends if the CD changers interface plug is the same as the socket on the rear of the B9010 which is type 1 as shown in the following picture.

Toyota-connector.jpg

So long as the CD changer has type 1 and not the older type 2 plug, then it should be fine. I have noticed that some big screen audio units, are excluded from using USB adapters, but may be genuine Toyota accessories will work?

The TM0461 seems to have been around a long time going by this: http://www.toyota-tech.eu/aimuploads/%7BF92D7F82-212C-4BE8-B4D4-3AC4B8308D7D%7D/Audio%20RHD%203A3RT22W-1.pdf

If the connections are the same, then do a test to see if the B9010 works the CD changer before full installation.

• Like 1

I have that unit. The CD changer socket is now occupied with a lead to an mp3 adapter. The CD screen now shows options for choosing more than on CD as if the unit recognises that a multi changer is attached. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply...The lead that comes with the CD changer has the type 2 plug  but i've purchased the Y adapter cable 08695-00370 that converts it to the type 1 socket , still not convinced but parts are on there way so no going back now !

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gazza1286 said:

I have that unit. The CD changer socket is now occupied with a lead to an mp3 adapter. The CD screen now shows options for choosing more than on CD as if the unit recognises that a multi changer is attached. 

Thanks... that's sounding a little more positive as the satnav owners handbook makes no reference to a multi changer .

21 minutes ago, Conrod said:

Thanks for the reply...The lead that comes with the CD changer has the type 2 plug  but we've purchased the Y adapter cable 08695-00370 that converts it to the type 1 socket , still not convinced but parts are on there way so no going back now !

Geoff, you have just educated me. Now I can add this info regarding the Y adapter cable. I Googled the part number and viewed the images. I also found this: -  

Let us know how you get on.

Konrad 

5 minutes ago, Konrad C said:

Geoff, you have just educated me. Now I can add this info regarding the Y adapter cable. I Googled the part number and viewed the images. I also found this: -  

Let us know how you get on.

Konrad 

Still have reservations but it needs to be done...logic says it will work or why would Toyota make a conversion cable ?

Using that Y cable we would be left with a spare female plug ...I wonder if a iPod interface could be plugged in giving more musical options ? Although some of the interfaces on eBay include a switch in the wiring to swap from cd changer to interface ....and one or two Include bluetooth for phone , think I'm overloading my ability now :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Conrod said:

Still have reservations but it needs to be done...logic says it will work or why would Toyota make a conversion cable ?

Using that Y cable we would be left with a spare female plug ...I wonder if a iPod interface could be plugged in giving more musical options ? Although some of the interfaces on eBay include a switch in the wiring to swap from cd changer to interface ....and one or two Include Bluetooth for phone , think I'm overloading my ability now :)

You have seen my "How to install USB/Bluetooth" post? 

When I had my old Mk1 Avensis, it was fitted with Sony head unit and I added a Sony CD changer. A few years later, I added the Connects2 iConnect USB adapter between the CD changer and the Sony head unit. I had multiple sources to choose from. I then added the Novero bluetooth system. I kept this when I sold the Mk1 as it fits any car.

Now adapter I got for my Mk3 has bluetooth and works well. I paid around £55 plus some extra cabling. You would think the system was standard the way it works.

There are lots of options available..  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Konrad C said:

You have seen my "How to install USB/Bluetooth" post? 

When I had my old Mk1 Avensis, it was fitted with Sony head unit and I added a Sony CD changer. A few years later, I added the Connects2 iConnect USB adapter between the CD changer and the Sony head unit. I had multiple sources to choose from. I then added the Novero Bluetooth system. I kept this when I sold the Mk1 as it fits any car.

Now adapter I got for my Mk3 has Bluetooth and works well. I paid around £55 plus some extra cabling. You would think the system was standard the way it works.

There are lots of options available..  

Very helpful..Looks like we've both been educated on this thread ......many thanks :)

Yes the Y-cable allows two 'devices' to use the same socket. On older Toyotas the external drives for sat navs was in the boot - my Gen 7 Celica had this. The Y-cable was necessary where an mp3 adapter was being installed as the sat nav drive used the same CD changer socket. 

If I remember I'll post a photo of the CD screen for the b9010 when I get home. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, gazza1286 said:

Yes the Y-cable allows two 'devices' to use the same socket. On older Toyotas the external drives for sat navs was in the boot - my Gen 7 Celica had this. The Y-cable was necessary where an mp3 adapter was being installed as the sat nav drive used the same CD changer socket. 

If I remember I'll post a photo of the CD screen for the b9010 when I get home. 

That would be great to see how the screen displays the Disc options, like I say no information in the satnav handbook.

This is the screen on mine which has an mp3 adapter connected:-

{option}http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc195/gazza1286/Mobile%20Uploads/20160414_180710_zpsgoxyuafy.jpg[/IMG]

• Like 1

HI Conrod,

Please do let us know how you get on with this project mate, its interesting that you brought this topic up, as I have been meaning to it for some time now, I too have the B9010 and received my brand new Toyota cd changer only last week, I haven't had a chance to unpack it yet let alone look at the connections, but please tell me, I assume that I will also need Y adapter cable 08695-00370, where did you source it and how much do they cost exactly?

Sammy

1 hour ago, gazza1286 said:

This is the screen on mine which has an mp3 adapter connected:-

{option}http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc195/gazza1286/Mobile%20Uploads/20160414_180710_zpsgoxyuafy.jpg[/IMG]

That's very  reassuring to see the choice of 6 discs....many thanks for sharing .

29 minutes ago, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

HI Conrod,

Please do let us know how you get on with this project mate, its interesting that you brought this topic up, as I have been meaning to it for some time now, I too have the B9010 and received my brand new Toyota cd changer only last week, I haven't had a chance to unpack it yet let alone look at the connections, but please tell me, I assume that I will also need Y adapter cable 08695-00370, where did you source it and how much do they cost exactly?

Sammy

It seems the 6 disc changer is a standard item and I'm thinking comes with the bigger cable plugs, one end fits in the cd changer and the other end of the cable as two plugs but wrong size for the B9010.

The Y adapter cable is sold at your local Toyota dealer at £15.40 inc vat , I got one off a Toyota dealer on eBay not listed as an item but asked them to order it ....cost £16.37

Hope to have the answer if it was all worth the time and money by mid next week 👍🏻

I've taken over this project now as I was hunting and bidding on the parts , I also have the B9010 fitted in my 2004 Toyota RAV4 so the parts will be going into my car first , then it's my mates choice if he want to follow with his 2008 Avensis.

Hunting for the parts at the right price has been a challenge  and if you look on Ebay new auto Changers from Burrows Toyota range from £300-500 😳 Not sure why price different I guess if for a dedicated model it has more brackets etc.

You see many many used changers with no main bus lead  , no idea how much that lead is as I've yet to find its part number , I would say never buy a changer without the bus lead or cd cartridge .

B9010 looks like it's factory fit and was almost plug n play .

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Geoff,

I have always been interested with in car entertainment integration. I wanted a car with at least USB and if not the option to upgrade. As I said in an earlier post, I had a CD changer then added USB. This saved me carrying about 100 plus CD's and hear mixes that were longer than a CD capacity. That was in my old car. My current car has the Bluetooth/USB/SD adapter added which solved a lot of my entertainment issues. So now I can carry lots lots of music on 16GB memory stick (32gb max), plus a couple of MP3/WMA CD's. Personal choice.

I looked at other options, but decided on the cheapest option. The other option was to upgrade to one of the later infotainment units. 

So long as you use high end stuff that has been tested and meets the wiring requirements, everything should work.

Off subject, some people spell and pronounce my name Conrod. It's a Jamaican thing. For some reason I get called Lenny. I have a sense of humour.  

Auto changer arrived today ,  surprised how small it is ...maybe a clue in the discription " compact disc " multi changer 😉 Shown with my iPhone 4 case for size comparison.

I've put the top cage mounting on it...see if I can fit it under the front seats, just need the Y conversion lead now .

Comes with 6 meter lead so should fit everything up to a Land Cruiser 😊

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

So you must have bought a '5+7'  to '6+6'  Y-cable?  I know they are available but the ones I've used previously have had the same '5+7' at all ends. 

If you decide to get a Mp3 adapter at a later date you'll have to get one with a cable for an 'early' vehicle. 

12 minutes ago, gazza1286 said:

So you must have bought a '5+7'  to '6+6'  Y-cable?  I know they are available but the ones I've used previously have had the same '5+7' at all ends. 

If you decide to get a Mp3 adapter at a later date you'll have to get one with a cable for an 'early' vehicle. 

If it all works out  I'll have the spare female connectors as in the photo plus a spare on the Y cable .....I'm thinking they make MP3 adapters for both sizes ......opens up a few more options 😊

We are a step closer today as the Y lead has turned up so conversion from  old style plug to new plug completed, now have a spare old and new female plug for other MP3 options .

Just need to find the time to pop out natnav and test it 👍🏻

image.jpeg

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Conrod said:

We are a step closer today as the Y lead has turned up so conversion from  old style plug to new plug completed, now have a spare old and new female plug for other MP3 options .

Just need to find the time to pop out natnav and test it 👍🏻

image.jpeg

Geoff, if the CD changer works well, can I suggest a cheap USB/SD adapter in the spare socket? Only if you are like me and want more music that is another option. 

Anyway, great work Geoff. 

Be handy if I can leave the new style female plug near the glovebox or just under the edge of the centre console  as I don't want to take the sat/nav unit out again ! maybe I should have got a SD/USB adapters first 😳

Hope to find time this afternoon to plug CD changer in ...will make plans for other parts after that 👍🏻

Conrod - With MP3 adapters there are several options to consider. If the music is on a smartphone this would work well:-

If however you would use a memory stick. This could be used:-

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-5V-2-1A-USB-Interface-Socket-Charger-USB-Audio-Input-for-TOYOTA-VIGO-R5Q5-/272193855957?nav=SEARCH

Right time to bring this thread to a conclusion 😊.....and the answer is YES with the Y conversion lead you can run Toyota's 6 disc auto changer in a 2008 Avensis with the B9010 fitted !

Photo 1 ....Y lead plugged into satnav second plug from the right ....

photo 2.....plug cd auto changer cable into Y lead...as you can see now left with female plug in old and new size ....

managed to pull the small plug towards the glovebox so can be  easily found now 👍🏻

photo 3 ...thats what I wanted to see Auto changer up on the screen .....very pleased with the result .

word of caution....DO NOT buy an auto changer without the big black lead , as Toyota do not sell it by itself ...only with an auto changer kit .

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links