Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clutch 2016

hutchy7

I've briefly mentioned this before in an oil thread but I want concentrate this to it's own thread sort of thing !

Now the clutch burns when it's dipped and in high revs going up a 45 degree angle into my garage. The smell is the typical burning smell. However when parked outside and driving anywhere else it's fine.

I'm guessing this is the issue, over revving to get into the garage ?

Cheers

Anyone have any ideas ? I think it's just because of the effort into the garage but the clutch seems quite lightweight if that's the case. On saying that, it's fine in general !

It all depends on how long you are slipping the clutch for, to make the car go slow enough to climb that 45 degree slope.

I'd say any more than 10 seconds and the clutch is gonna smell. If it's not smelling during normal driving, then I wouldn't worry too much about it :wink:

The garage slope is about the width of a motor. Obviously I've to bump it up the kerb and get it into the garage after the hill. On saying that I usually let my dad do it and it's not quite as bad but then he usually rallies it up the slope haha. I can take up to 10 seconds from the kerb to into the garage where my dad probably takes maybe 5-7 secs. A little unusual though. If it was wider i'd probably rally it up haha I actually stalled it earlier on. Tried to reboot up but the motor wouldn't crawl up in first gear. It basically failed me and wouldn't move. So dropped it back down and started from scratch. I hate doing it too. Probably will stop it but at the same time don't wanna leave it outside so some cabbage can key it. It's a ball ache either way !

So to clarify, hill start on a 45' slope! No wonder the clutch is burning!

Your pop does it by taking a run up and therefore not straining/slipping the clutch on said slope, and no burning clutch? Is say that's your answer!

I struggled once to get a works van to mount kerb and burning clutch smell was immediate.

Hi this might sound a little stupid but can't you make some, wooden cut outs that match the size of the kerb.

Just to explain what l mean they slope like the door stop things. That way you don't have to bounce up the kerb

knocking out your tyres and drive straight into the garage.

I've had my Peugeot 107 since new in 2010, it managed 60,000 miles before the clutch burnt out and needed replacing. The clutches in these cars are easily burnt, so I'd get used to the smell of burning cabbage!

But like Kenny500 said, make some wooden chocks so that you can mount the kerb better. Otherwise you'll be forking out £200/£300 for a new clutch!

The idea is to ONLY garage it to check the oil levels as that's the only place around my area thats flat. I'll probably let my dad garage it as he's more efficient than I am at doing it but the garage needs flattened out and landscaped. That's my idea. Will be checking the oil tomorrow so will be garaged tonight. I can't garage it myself the now anyway as I've just had a double toe op yesterday morning :mellow:

Thanks guys fro your input ! 

Also a sidetone is the 5 year warranty with it if it does pack in which it won't anyway with some care