Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mudflaps, what a surprise

Countrylad

We've had the Auris Touring Sport (1.6 VVT Icon Plus) for a whole four weeks now, and we're just getting everything set up the way we like it. But one of the things we didn't like, after our old VW Passat estate, was the amount of dirt and stones that were getting pinged up against the floorpan - and  against the 'scooped' sill and lower door edge. Maybe it's just down to our living in a rural area, but the car was making quite a racket down in the country lanes. We were starting to wonder if we'd done the wrong thing?

But my goodness, what a difference a £33 set of mudflaps have made. It's not just that the floorpan isn't getting battered any more. You're welcome to say I'm imagining this, but the whole car also seems quieter and more 'composed' in the way it rides. There seems to be less wind noise around the front door seals too - but hey, I guess maybe that's the power of aerodynamics for you? Money well spent, anyway.

Yes, and that's not the only benefits you'll get, you'll probably find the back window stays cleaner when it's raining or in winter time with slush etc.

I had mudflaps on my last Auris so I speak from experience about the negative aspects as well:

You will lose about 3 or 4 mph in top speed.

They will cost your more fuel consumption at motorway speeds.

People will tailgate you more in bad weather because your car doesn't throw up as much spray as the others.

On ‎19‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 8:09 PM, TomdeGuerre said:

You will lose about 3 or 4 mph in top speed. They will cost your more fuel consumption at motorway speeds.

LOL, I reckon I can get along with a teensy bit less than 121 mph. :rolleyes: But yes, the mpg might drop a little - I find I'm getting 45-ish on the display at a steady motorway 80, and I can live with that. Looking forward to giving it a bit of a thrash on the southern French autoroute some time soon.

Speaking of which, does anyone happen to know whether the 1.6 VVTI can benefit from the extra octanes in French super grade petrol? I find that some cars can, but others may as well stick with standard unleaded.

Cheers

I doubt the mpg drop would be significant given that there are wheels in front of them anyway. :laugh: Also, all the people whose windscreens have been saved from stones by your mudflaps thank you :)

I don't think the engine will gain much from the high octane tho' (Maybe a bit if you're at sea-level and absolutely caning it :naughty:)

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links