Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jeff ramble

Jeff ramble

I have a November 2015 Yaris Hybrid Sport Automatic. Questions,  1.  Over 1000 miles and a specific number of litres of petrol with combined urban/motorway driving

the fuel consumption is 54 m.p.g,  the Yaris handbook specifies  78 to 85 m.p.g.  Can any one explain the difference  ?

2.  The Yaris Hybrid handbook states the tyre pressures for this 16 inch wheel tyres is;  Front wheels - 32 p.s.i    Rear wheels  29 p.c.i    -  is is okay, and should these

tyre pressures be these values all the time  ?

Manufacturers legally have to quote the official EU fuel consumption figures. As a very quick check re the consumption owners are getting, have a look at http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/toyota/yaris-and-yaris-hybrid-2011/15-vvt-i-hybrid

As regards tyre pressures, there should be a small plaque/sticker usually inside the door opening at the base of one of the B pillars - this will provide the recommended tyre pressures. Toyota have a guide on their UK blog - http://blog.toyota.co.uk/toyota-tyre-pressure-and-size-guide#Auris

58 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

As regards tyre pressures, there should be a small plaque/sticker usually inside the door opening at the base of one of the B pillars

My '14 reg has the sticker inside the glovebox.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bathtub tom said:

My '14 reg has the sticker inside the glovebox.

Likewise my '64 reg... (which is not a very convenient place if I'm honest!)

If you are getting 54 that's good, we get just short of 50 with mixed driving, mainly local journeys and some 100 mile trips. I try to use the EV mode as much as possible around town. Just wish the software could be tweaked to utilise more of the Battery.

14 hours ago, Peter S said:

If you are getting 54 that's good, we get just short of 50 with mixed driving, mainly local journeys and some 100 mile trips. I try to use the EV mode as much as possible around town. Just wish the software could be tweaked to utilise more of the battery.

Here is possibly your problem, forcing into EV mode using the button will ruin your MPG, allow the car to do it itself, and just try and coach EV within HV mode. The HSD utilises the Battery as much as is deemed safe, any more and you'll be adding extensive stress and wear and tear to it.

16 hours ago, MEP's Yaris GS said:

Here is possibly your problem, forcing into EV mode using the button will ruin your MPG, allow the car to do it itself, and just try and coach EV within HV mode. The HSD utilises the battery as much as is deemed safe, any more and you'll be adding extensive stress and wear and tear to it.

I don't use the EV button as I find it a wast of time as it either drops out too quickly or wont engage. I get up to speed fairly quickly and then cut the throttle until the EV light comes on and then drive with as little throttle as is necessary to stay in EV mode, I always use ECO mode too.

On 22 April 2016 at 9:02 AM, Peter S said:

I don't use the EV button as I find it a wast of time as it either drops out too quickly or wont engage. I get up to speed fairly quickly and then cut the throttle until the EV light comes on and then drive with as little throttle as is necessary to stay in EV mode, I always use ECO mode too.

EV 'Mode' is when the button is pressed, forcing it to stay in EV. What you describe doing is normal and good practise, and is making the most of EV while in HV mode :)

I think the point that Peter was making Jonathan is that in the Yaris Hybrid, you can't "force" it to STAY in EV mode and therefore the button is a waste of space. I'm sure your Prius Plug In will work differently...

21 hours ago, CPN said:

I think the point that Peter was making Jonathan is that in the Yaris Hybrid, you can't "force" it to STAY in EV mode and therefore the button is a waste of space. I'm sure your Prius Plug In will work differently...

You can, its still EV mode, rather than the standard HV mode that the car normally starts in. EV designed to prevent the ICE starting for short distances when moving the car on the drive etc, the same as all other Toyota Hybrids is it not? It seemed to function properly like this in the Yaris Hybrid I've driven previously.

The PiP is a completely different kettle of fish in itself however, where charging the car charges the EV mode for greater range of use.

1 hour ago, MEP's Yaris GS said:

You can, its still EV mode, rather than the standard HV mode that the car normally starts in. EV designed to prevent the ICE starting for short distances when moving the car on the drive etc, the same as all other Toyota Hybrids is it not?

Yes, but my point is that you still cannot force it to stay in EV mode and utilise just the Battery and torque of the electric motor strictly on its own because the second you try and accelerate harder than EV mode will allow, it straight away switches out back to HV. I don't call that a pure "EV mode" personally and therefore the switch is pointless. I can simulate the exact same thing without using the button just by being very light with my right foot... (in the drive...)

20 hours ago, CPN said:

Yes, but my point is that you still cannot force it to stay in EV mode and utilise just the battery and torque of the electric motor strictly on its own because the second you try and accelerate harder than EV mode will allow, it straight away switches out back to HV. I don't call that a pure "EV mode" 

But thats your personal perception - all I was doing was clarifying what the OP was doing earlier on in the thread. It still has a purpose and can be useful in the correct conditions, and can also ruin fuel economy if used needlessly, which OP has confirmed they're not doing.