Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Alarmo

Alarmo

Fluctuating charging voltage, no Battery warning light. Auris Sports 1.6.

I recently aquired a March 2014 Auris with low mileage - and a fairly clapped out Battery, presumed due to many short journeys.  Voltage tests on the Battery terminals (after leaving it to stabilise for at least an hour after each use) showed that on some journeys practically no charging seemed to have occured, whilst on others, even short ones, a noticeable gain was evident.  The battery rarely approached full charge, being typically around 12,4V.

A new battery was installed, but this soon showed signs of discharging.  

A plug in voltmeter was inserted in the cigar point to monitor voltage on the road. On approximately half  ot the journeys it showed a steady 14,3V +/- 0.2V, but on the others it fluctuated randomly between 12.3 and15.0V, mostly around 13.3V.  It would sometimes settle at 14.2V during idling, however.   If a large electrical load was added during a fluctuating journey, eg. screen heaters, fan, headlights, it did not force the alternator to steady..

The battery warning light never appears, even during switch on.  Is this right?

Can somebody assist? (Local Toyota dealer not being much help).

Greetings Alan and a big welcome to the club.                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Myself I would first check out that the cable connections are sound like the Battery earth where it is fastened to the body                                                                                         An alternator produces an AC current that the rectifier alters to DC that the Battery needs. A voltage regulator then monitors and corrects the output.Often these two units are combined It sounds as if the fault may lie there.I would suggest finding an independent auto electrician and let them check this out as they would have these parts as replacements saving the cost of a new unit

Del

Thanks Derek, the possibility of regulator repair is interesting but last resort as 3 years warranty remain. I'm looking for a case to persuade dealer to get warranty enacted.

I'm planning to check volt drops when back from hols, but the curious fact is that if it starts up working correctly it remains correct, If fluctuating it stays fluctuating, except sometimes latching on tickover. Has anybody else encountered this?

Also considering taking video of voltmeter and tacho as  evidence of fluctuation.   

Can anyone advise whether the Battery light should be briefly visible at start up on the 2014 Auris?

Al

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links