Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1st & 2nd gears

hutchy7

Not just the Aygo but most of the motors I've had in my short time of driving feel like the first two gears are more stubborn to get in. I don't mean that there's anything wrong with them by any means but am I the only one who shares this view ? 

could this issue be due to you slipping the clutch when trying to get in your garage so the clutch

isn't operating properly

No I've noticed that in many cars I've had and driven. The Aygo's the first motor that's actually been able to make it into the garage. 

For example my 350, both type r's and my imported civic all had similar "things" going on. Not a constant thing, just the odd time. Aygo's only done 510 miles exactly

Actually I also think It's my style of shifting. My mum and dad who both have used the gearstick say it's normal. Bearing in mind it's a new motor as well as I doubt the Japanese technicians have designed a dodgy gearbox. It's probably me it's the problem. Sometimes I wish I had an Audi and got the paddle shift on the go !

I think you worry to much just drive the car and be done. Don't think about it so much.

6 hours ago, hutchy7 said:

Not just the Aygo but most of the motors I've had in my short time of driving feel like the first two gears are more stubborn to get in. I don't mean that there's anything wrong with them by any means but am I the only one who shares this view ? 

If the car is moving at any speed faster than a crawl, then shifting into first gear will always be a problem on most cars.

Other than that, make sure you depress the clutch pedal all the way before shifting, and as Kenny says, just drive it and stop worrying :wink:

Yeah I know guys. I'm trying to think a bit more positively. It's that bad that the sat nav touch screen thing I haven't even booted up because I've been listening to the car for anything out of the ordinary. That's mainly to do with the couple of motors I've had previously which I spent a lot of money on sorting out other people's mess. Once my toes are healed enough, I'll be going for a wee cruise I think and set everything up :blush::tongue:

On saying that coming to a stop at a roundabout or junction is a pain in the **** down shifting to 1st then I start panicking because it's free to go and there's a queue behind me and it's no wanting to go into 1st :huh:

I have this problem with my 107, it can be difficult to get in to 1st when it's not moving. If this happens I let go of the clutch then press it again and it slips into 1st. So you can try that.

Other than that, don't pull or push the stick in to gear. Guide it in, and it'll find it's own way. This will feel smoother.

Cheers mate that's what I usually end up having to do. Probably not used to such a small engine as I once was but it's a new motor so It'll be a matter of time before its second nature ! 

They're all different. I've driven a Primera once and 1st gear on that was a pig. You didn't slip the stick in to 1st in a straight line. You had to throw it away from you, push it up, and as you push it up in to 1st you pull it back towards you. My cousin said his wifes Almera has the same "feature".

Also you're lucky to have an Aygo. I had one as a courtesy car when someone crashed in to my 107 and it's just so much nicer inside. The 107 tends to be very utilitarian, but the Aygo was a lovely car.

Sat in the motor today after it cooked up and practiced with the gears. I've noticed overtime I think about what I'm doing it's more difficult to get the gears in. When I don't think about it it's second nature !

Thanks guys !

I have always found my Aygo to be harder to get in to first then previous cars I have owned. Especially when the engine is cold and especially if the car is moving at all. no problems with second though. Giving it a few revs will help.