Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Oil part 2/3 4million ?

hutchy7

I know I've raised this before but thought I'd update it a little.

I've been checking the oil every week (just a few minutes ago) each time I've been getting different readings ALL of which between halfway and almost full. Checked in my infamous garage on level ground between 12 hours and a few days after. Most recently though I've been getting readings which suggest 3/4 full.

Because of the inconsistency of not having the same/similar reading time and time again, I'd like to ask why this is ?

First off probably used around 50ml of oil just checking it alone when I wipe it off so I can understand why it's maybe not showing right up to the full mark. However I read on wikipedia (not the most reliable) that old from factory should be halfway so then when it heats up the modern day oils are that thin it expands to take it up to the full mark sort of thing. I also spoke with a boy at toyota who said it should be full. I spoke with the boy who sold me the motor at the time and he said it should be halfway between the points.

Any clarity here ? Like I said It's not going below halfway and in some respect it's gonna use oil to coat all the parts of the engine. The problem I have is the diverse readings which make me want to keep checking it haha to get two readings in a row thats the same. 

Sometimes I'll wipe it away and go to check it and pull it out straight after i put it in, sometimes, I'll let it sit for a handful of seconds and that usually gives a more fuller reading. 

So another question is, is there a right or wrong way to do this ?

The idea is to check it tomorrow then be done with it for a while !

Thanks guys, all of you who have responded to my other threads have been brilliant. I honestly do appreciate your feedback !:blush:

Didn't someone say on your other thread about only checking it when on level ground and having been sat unused for an expended period, so all the oil that can drain, drains.

Wouldn't have thought oil would thermally expand/contact but I may be wrong, it does however change viscosity, hence the spec 10w30 etc. This will affect the way it drains or clings within the engine.

1 hour ago, hutchy7 said:

infamous garage

:-D like that!

Perhaps to get a full oil reading you'd need to leave the motor for days before checking it but naturally that doesn't happen. Maybe if you leave it level and cold for a longer period it'll show above the max spot but that's not normal especially if you've already wiped it off. Perhaps i'm catching oil off the sides when I pull it in/out and letting it settle more hence when I leave it for a handful of seconds it gives me a higher reading ?

I'm glad you enjoy the reference haha

you should always check oil on level ground (infamous garage = Check)

i would only check my oil when the engine is cold, IE:- first thing in morning, guarantees all oil returned to sump.

always pull out dipstick and wipe it, then re-insert and pull out slowly. this should give consistent results.

if you start the car or even just turn it over the oil pump will send oil all over the engine and thus you have a lower level. its very hard to determine how long after a warm/hot engine has stopped to when all all oil has returned to sump, due to the viscosity changing at temperature. that's why you get different results.

I've tried it a million different ways, pull it out straight away and quick so it doesn't all fall back the way on the dipstick which does happen. When I do it that way I ALWAYS get a reading of around halfway.

If I wipe it, put it back in (yes we know that's what she said) leave it for a minute, pull it back out quickly I get a reading around 3/4.

I ALWAYS pull it out quick because of the oil being smudged a little as it runs off so it can make the reading worse than it actually is which is what I've found.

If insert it after that (3/4 reading) and leave it for another minute the reading can be above/around full.

Tomorrow though I'm going to count to maybe 10 take it out and go with that reading and do the same thing each week. Same amount of time.

Sounds a bit !Removed!/unusual but at least it's going to be consistent either way in terms of doing it

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links