Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

ABS & Brake warning lights illuminated 2006 1.0

jonjosar

Hi all,

Its been a while since i was on here but i suppose thats the nature of Toyota ownership, not much goes wrong..usually.

In this case, my wifes 2006 3 cylinder 1.0 has been showing the ABS warning light along with the brake fluid/warning light at the same time.The car has only done 45k

This materialised about a month ago and i found that the fluid level was a bit low. The front pads and discs needed changing so i changed both an all was well, until today.

The fluid level is still fine, new pads are well bedded in with a decent pedal but Both lights have now returned and are on permanently. I dont have access to a code reader so i will have to wait until Monday to have it done. The car seems to brake perfectly and there dont appear to be any leaks in the pipes.

Has anyone come across this before in this model and if so, any pointers?

Are they prone to needing new ABS sensors?

This is our 3rd Yaris and its the only one we've ever had any bother with. Between multiple recalls and electrical gremlins, i dont have the same faith in this one as the older cars.

I've seen a number of posts on here saying this can be caused by a faulty brake light switch - located behind the brake pedal. It may require adjustment or replacement.

It can also be caused by faulty/burnt out rear light bulbs (stop/tail light and/or indicator bulbs) or even faulty bulb holders and earth connections for same.. 

Funny enough that you should mention the brake light switch. It did occur to me that it might be worth checking. My RAV had a faulty switch as well and it brought on more warning lights on the dash, VSC, Check Engine etc. Ill take a look tomorrow at the tail light connectors. My wife did mention that she thought there was a burning smell from the rear of the car.

Good suggestions, Thank you. Much appreciated

Couldnt wait until the morning so had a quick look at both the rear light connections and the brake switch connections. All look good with no signs of burning.

If i were to fit a new brake light switch tomorrow, would the fault code need cleared even after i fit the switch?

Lights were out this morning when i started the car. Havent come on since so i will see what happens Monday when i get the code checked.

Ok, so checked by the garage with code reader and it comes up as N/S rear abs wheel sensor. No idea of code number etc but a quick check of the internet shows that this is a well known problem with its own Toyota Service Bulletin. Apparently something to do with failure of the wiring loom or connections. The loom itself and the sensors are showing as around £400-£500. I'm not going to comment on this just yet as i havent contacted my dealer directly but if this is the case, then i wont be a happy teddy.

I've had numerous Toyotas for years, Ravs, Yaris's etc and up until recently, all have been ultra reliable. I know the old saying was that parts were expensive for Toyota because they never need them. My RAV needed an exhaust that the dealer quoted £1100 plus for a centre section, then this and it seems to be common enough. This kind of knocks that belief on the head. Toyota do need parts and they are still unholy expensive. Time will tell. Wish me luck

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links