Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My new IQ.

jamski

So I've finally found one. :)

59 plate, 55k miles. White with rear diffuser and spoiler. Spotless condition outside and excellent inside. 

My only oversight was the EGR valve. I thought there was a recall for this and I checked if it needed any work on the Toyota but seems the EGR isn't a recall. Have asked them to check the paperwork which the will tomorrow. Kicking myself though. How common is it, and with the age/miles of the car would it have shown up by now?

Its had a pre-paid Totota service schedule which has been stuck to and drove perfectly. Any idea if they would have replaced it with any of the services?

Cones with 6 months warranty which covered everything factory fitted, so fingers crossed we'll be fine. A few pics attached. :)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

IQ is great little car EGR is only problem, just get it (EGR) modified and you are good to go, I sold mine nearly 2 years ago and now gone for Hyundai 4 x 4 I will not buy another Toyota unless it is a Land Crusier Amazon. They are good for 300,000 miles or 15+ years.

Thanks very much. If it's not already modified its a good £1k though right? I thought it was a recall job, I'm kicking myself now as I love the car and will lose £200 if I back out.

How common is the EGR fault? Is it something that will ALWAYS happen or it it just chance? Thanks. :)

Official recalls arranged via the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (formerly VOSA) are safety related. Owners can report issues they believe may be safety related, but, unless there are a number of reports of the same issue received, DVSA won't investigate.

A couple of years or so ago, one member did report the EGR issue and asked other members who had affected cars to also report the issue. These additional reports didn't materialise, and the issue wasn't investigated.

1 hour ago, bobkneale said:

IQ is great little car EGR is only problem, just get it (EGR) modified and you are good to go, I sold mine nearly 2 years ago and now gone for Hyundai 4 x 4 I will not buy another Toyota unless it is a Land Crusier Amazon. They are good for 300,000 miles or 15+ years.

So please change your profile accordingly.

31 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Official recalls arranged via the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (formerly VOSA) are safety related. Owners can report issues they believe may be safety related, but, unless there are a number of reports of the same issue received, DVSA won't investigate.

A couple of years or so ago, one member did report the EGR issue and asked other members who had affected cars to also report the issue. These additional reports didn't materialise, and the issue wasn't investigated.

So please change your profile accordingly.

Thanks. I'm aware of this now, unfortunately not before as I had red it was recalled for the fault, this was obviously wrong. 

What I'm trying to find out is how wide spread this problem is? Is it something that will definitely be a problem if it hasn't already be modified, and it's just a case of how long until I have problems. Or could the car do 100k miles plus and never be an issue?

If the car still drives fine then don't worry about it.

Stick a bottle of Redex fuel system cleaner through it occasionally and replace the valve if it plays up in the future.

The Design was changed in the later models I believe to put the intake for the EGR after the catalytic converter and not before it and some owners managed to get Toyota to change all the bits to the later version which included the exhaust manifold hence the cost but I think at least one owner here has had issues even with the later style. 

You can also remove the EGR valve and clean it out to extend it's life.

Craig.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, craggle said:

If the car still drives fine then don't worry about it.

Stick a bottle of Redex fuel system cleaner through it occasionally and replace the valve if it plays up in the future.

The Design was changed in the later models I believe to put the intake for the EGR after the catalytic converter and not before it and some owners managed to get Toyota to change all the bits to the later version which included the exhaust manifold hence the cost but I think at least one owner here has had issues even with the later style. 

You can also remove the EGR valve and clean it out to extend it's life.

Craig.

Thanks very much. Drove fine on the test, even managed to pull away in 2nd which I would imagine would be tough with the EGR issue! Been driving an auto for years and forgot to change into 1st. Oops. 

The seller can't find any record of it being done, apparently phoned the dealer it's been through and they didn't know of an issue!

Still going for it. The car is in such good condition. :)

Is this the Redex stuff?

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/fuel-oil-additives/redex-petrol-injector-cleaner-250ml

Yup, That's the Redex.

I use it on my 1.33 version too although they don't seem to have any reported EGR problems it's still a good thing to do every few months. First time you try it you will notice a difference in the way the car drives.

Not sure how much a replacement EGR valve is if your one does decide to play up but as the one you have fitted has already cover 55k miles in theory a replacement will do the same. Here is the bulletin that describes the differences and the symptoms.

Craig.

toc_128369_93_3.png

Thanks a lot. I can't really get a grasp of how many this is a problem for. I owned an 'original' new MINI, and the gearboxes in those were like cheese. Mine inevitably died as did most of them. This doesn't seem as wide spread as that, and given the thread on here is a few years old and only 4 pages long with no new posts since 2014 I'm hoping it's something that would have happened by now. Time will tell, and needless to say if I notice anything within my 6 months warranty I'll get onto it.

Must admit, this has tarnished the purchase a little so far. I'm sure once I get the car and everything is fine I'll feel a bit more positive about it.

• Like 1

Hi jamski, just wondering if this stuff would help in keeping the EGR system clean:

Wynns EGR3 Petrol

I used a can of the diesel version on my previous Almera every six months, which was notorious for gunking up the EGR valve.

• Like 1

Thanks very much. I'll taker a look. Am also hoping with a bit of TLC and looking after the car well it will help a lot. I'm generally a worrier, so something was going to get to me before I pick it up. :)

I loved the MINI, and hope I get the same connection to this one. The MINI was hardly fault-free!

Cheers.

Just now, fordulike said:

Hi jamski, just wondering if this stuff would help in keeping the EGR system clean:

Wynns EGR3 Petrol

I used a can of the diesel version on my previous Almera every six months, which was notorious for gunking up the EGR valve.

Been protecting our 59 plate 3 cylinder with Redex (with the original EGR valve) and it drives just fine

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, dash said:

Been protecting our 59 plate 3 cylinder with Redex (with the original EGR valve) and it drives just fine

Thanks mate, appreciate it. Will use Super unleaded and redex to start with, then see where we go from there. How many miles have you done? Appreciate your comment. :)

Whether you feel comfortable revving the engine for a period of time, to clear gunk out of the engine, is up to you, but Google 'Italian tune up'.

I've done this on all the cars I've owned once a week, and it's helped keep the engine from gunking up.

I'm not sure if the iQ has a timing belt or chain, but if it has a chain, then don't worry about revving the b****x out of it.

18 minutes ago, fordulike said:

Whether you feel comfortable revving the engine for a period of time, to clear gunk out of the engine, is up to you, but Google 'Italian tune up'.

I've done this on all the cars I've owned once a week, and it's helped keep the engine from gunking up.

I'm not sure if the iQ has a timing belt or chain, but if it has a chain, then don't worry about revving the b****x out of it.

It's a chain I believe, I'll give it a look. :)

My Aygo's got a chain, and I have no problem (psychologically) in red lining the engine every now and then. Happens mostly in 2nd gear when joining a motorway, as shifting into third too early is a bit of a damp squib performance wise. If performance and Aygo can be expressed in the same sentence lol.

Who cares when I'm getting 50+ mpg and pay zero road tax :biggrin:

All iQ's are indeed chain driven cam shafts, 1.0 and 1.33 versions.

Craig.

Got my boot pack of Redex ready! :) Going to put a bottle in my other car too and see if it makes a difference. Should one bottle be enough to clear things out nicely?

7 hours ago, fordulike said:

My Aygo's got a chain ....

The 1.0 litre engine used in the Aygo, IQ and Yaris is basically the same unit.

• Like 1

Hello i would like to ask after reading all of the posts is it a must to use Redex? I am asking cause i dont seem to find this brand in my country (Cyprus) or will any good brand injector fuel cleaner do the work? How often do you treat your engine with it? Whats the first points of an EGR failing?

12 hours ago, jamski said:

Got my boot pack of Redex ready! :) Going to put a bottle in my other car too and see if it makes a difference. Should one bottle be enough to clear things out nicely?

Slow down !! You only need to add around 1/8 of a bottle with each fill-up....

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Charis IQ3 said:

Hello i would like to ask after reading all of the posts is it a must to use Redex? I am asking cause i dont seem to find this brand in my country (Cyprus) or will any good brand injector fuel cleaner do the work? How often do you treat your engine with it? Whats the first points of an EGR failing?

It's worth trying any reputable brand injector cleaner. You add a small amount each time you fill the tank with fuel.

I believe the first signs of a blocked EGR is a lack of power when pulling away from rest and hesitation in take-up of engine revs when power is required

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, dash said:

Slow down !! You only need to add around 1/8 of a bottle with each fill-up....

I got the 'boot pack' so each bottle is only 90ml. :) I'm a bit (read very) anal about making sure I put the correct amount of things in, so thought I couldn't go wrong with those. :)