Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyre Pressure Monitor reset not working

Kitko

Hello there, 

I have an Auris Hybrid tourer, 2015 facelift model. I have two sets of wheels (tyres and rims), summer set is 17 inch, winter 16. Both supplied by Toyota, both equipped with Toyota pressure sensors.

The car pressure monitor has been paired with both sets.

Now, I swapped the winter 16s for the summer 17s, did not reset the sensor, drove about 15 miles when the tyre pressure light came on. I parked the car for 20 minutes, checked the pressure all round 3 times to make sure there's no slow leak. All was well. I followed the manual - put the car to the ON mode, press the reset button, hold till the light flashes slowly 3 times. Except it did not.

Fair enough, tires are hot, I'll drive home (50 miles), park the car and reset the pressure next morning. The pressure is OK, tyres are cold... and I still cannot reset that monitor so the orange light is still on.

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks.

P.S. The previous summer-2-winter set was done by Toyota and they obviously did reset the sensor. My bad I did not but ther must be a way how to reset it later, after one uses an emergency spare, for example.

IMBW about this but I'm pretty sure that although the car's electronics can keep a track of two sets of pressure sensors, they have to be "switched to" using a laptop connected to the OBDII port at the same time as the wheels are swapped. This is because each sensor has a unique MAC (media access control) address (they work via bluetooth PAN) and unless you've told the relevant ECU to recognise the "second set" of MAC addresses, it will keep on trying to search for the original set; no matter how many times you press the reset button. If your local Toyota dealer is worth his salt, he should have already informed you of this? (and that they'll need to do it with their laptop and Techstream software for you...) I'm guessing that when the dealer did the reset in the workshop, your other wheels were stacked up neatly close to the car and in which case, it was they that got picked up when they did the reset... (it quite often takes a few miles of driving before the TPWS does a check and kicks in...)

@CPN  

Not so. The car can be paired with two sets and remembers both - as I said, both were supplied by Toyota. Toyota installed and paired the winter 16-inch set. The car's original set was 17-inch.

There must be something else I'm doing wrong.

Or my pressure gauge is slightly off.

12 hours ago, Kitko said:

@CPN  

Not so. The car can be paired with two sets and remembers both - as I said, both were supplied by Toyota.

That's exactly what I said above if you read it carefully again. However, the relevant ECU can only work with ONE set of paired sensors at a time. It cannot work with both sets simultaneously. It needs to be "instructed" as to which set to work with as the current set. That's where the Techstream software comes in... I read a tech note on it somewhere on one of Toyota Europe's sites...

Could it be done with a scangauge II via the xgauges? Might be something on Priuschat.?