Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

pasenger side drive shaft seal leaking

mark0

Hello guys replaced drive shalf on pasenger side on saturday, slightly nicked the seal removing drive shaft from gearbox with a tyre lever, When fitted the new drive shaft all went well except noticed oil underneath on the road the next day and noticed its from the drive  shaft seal.

.just wondering is it handy replacing the seal and topping up gearbox oil as i dived in to the unknown on saturday replacing the drive shaft thanks

The lip on the drive shaft seal on the transmission is easily damaged as you've dicovered.

They're best sourced from Toyota and are relatively straightforward to replace. Use a pry-bar or broad flat tipped screwdriver to lever the old seal out but avoid scoring the edge of the seal seat. To replace apply some oil on the edge of the new seal and drive gently home using a suitability sized socket and mallet. Put a smear of oil on the drive shaft splines and try to offer it up perpendicularly. 

Partially drain the gearbox before starting and refill afterwards. 

Thanks very much pal I  am getting new seal in the morning of toyota

Do you have to remove Battery and casing to access gearbox top up bolt i cant see the bolt when i look down

Topping up is easier from underneath. The filler bolt on the transmission faces the front of the car behind the radiator. Under trays may need to come off to give better access depending on the model/year.  

I always refill using the handy 200ml cartons with the inbuilt 'flex-hose' nozzles. Insert the hose and squeeze. Then refill the carton repeatedly using a funnel from the 5lt cartons. 

It's much more economical buying the 5lt than several smaller bottles. 

BTW. Make sure you're able to open the filler bolt before you drain the oil - for obvious reasons. 

Thanks pal completed the job still a little weap of oil from new seal 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links