Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Karen72

Karen72

I have driven the car and the battey light came on the. The coolant light and then told me to stop.. I think the fan belt has come off as has before but am 70 miles away from home .. Am I able to drive the car or will it damage it ?? 

The car will overheat and could cause further damage. Are you a member of a breakdown service (AA, RAC, or similar). If you are, call them out and they may be able to get you going. If you're not a member, give therm a ring anyway, and they may be able to sign you up and do something for you - especially as you're a female, and certainly if you're by yourself. Let us know how you get on.

Thank you yes I have breakdown..and will call in the morning..  I had the same happen in Feb where theses lights came on and then managed to get to my fathers garage whic he found was the belt.. The car drove for abt 10 miles to my destination and had no problems but worried what damage it can do? Thank you so much for advice 

Take care.

I hope you are safe and get home OK. I have to admit I was a bit bemused that you posted on the forum for help rather than call roadside rescue for advice and assistance.   I hope our response time met your  expectations of our customer service level!

Also not sure what the “call them in the morning” is all about. Even if you are at your destination I would have advised contacting them immediately as they may need to find parts or organise a recovery vehicle if it can’t be fixed. It is well within your rights to say that you want the vehicle recovered and request that the recovery vehicle come to pick you up at a time convenient to you not them.  I’ve done this several times.

Anyway – hope you are OK

Thank you so much guys for all your help... 

I was in my way to a night shift 70 miles from home and was at destination but unsure if the car was able to be driven as it had for approx 6 miles with no problem apart from the lights! 

I called breakdown am and told them it had thrown the belt! Which had happened earlier this year too! ( is this normal it's a 14 plate ).

recovery came and fitted a new one and have now done my journey home..

can I just say how lovely to hear thoughtful replies as this is my work car and usually I'm a hated bmw convertible driver!!!

thankyou so much guys 

Hi sorry Karen for not giving a longer story of what might go wrong with your car etc. I just caught a glimpse of your post 

and l was very tired last night. Glad to hear that all worked out well in the end. But the light on the dashboard told you 

to stop, not always possible is it is ? Have a great weekend 

Thankyou all so much for your help, just didn't  want to damage anything any further ... 

Thankyou and have a good holiday weekend ... 

if your 14 plate car is having this sort of trouble I should get Toyota to look at it under warranty. Certainly too young to have any wear and tear problems at this stage.

• 1 month later...

The belt should do 40,000 or more miles unless set too tight initially or 

alternator or

water pump or

air con compressor

Kaput

you need to complain to dealer ASAP.

when the light says 'stop' it means pull over when safe and mobile phone.

Thankyou for that I shall pass that info to my father I'm working in hk for 6 weeks and he is going to check the car out and service it at his garage , I bought the car with 10,000 and now  done 33.000 and the belt has gone twice..

notmally would stop but was in the middle

of nowhere and

needed to get

to work which was only 2

miles .. Luckily all was well 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links