Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris Hybrid in snow and ice

Bill CLS

How does the Auris Hybrid perform in snow and ice. I don't know, as we haven't had any for 2 years. I want to know as I'm considering fitting Michelin Cross Climate tyres (present tyres getting very worn) but if the car performs well, I may not do so. These tyres get very good independent reviews outside the UK (and from my local tyre-fitter) but I cannot find such UK reviews for snow and ice conditions.- presumably from lack of UK snow to test them.

Have fitted Cross Climate recently and find improved ride both for comfort and quietness. Excellent performance in snow. Honest John rates them very highly and reckons front wheel drive with all weather tyres is better than 4x4 on normal tyres.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/66497/what-are-the-best-all-weather-tyres-

how it performs in snow & ice is largely going to be down to what tyres it has on it  & their condition ... :wink:

I agree with what these guys are saying about tyres....but one thing I`d add with the prius and auris hybrid, is that when my wife got our auris hybrid stuck in wet grass/mud I found that as soon as the wheels start to spin all power is cut from the drive system.....you can`t turn off any form of traction control. This made moving the car impossible without a tow. I`ve now fitted new tyres now and grip is much improved if we have to park on wet grass. I would think the gentle power delivery in eco mode would suit snowy roads, and putting the drive/gear stick into B increases engine braking when you lift off the gas, so gentle use of the accelerator should get you most places ok.

I have michelin cross climate on my auris hybrid and drove this winter without any issues. Normal winter conditions. A week or two of snow, icy roads in the mornings. Never had any problems. This is my first car with VSC so I can only say that it performs even better than my previous "normal" car.

" how it performs in snow & ice is largely going to be down to what tyres it has on it  & their condition ... :wink: "

And even more importantly, the driver.:blink: