Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Things I should be wary of

Donmaico

I recently bought a Yaris hybrid and was quite concerned about some of things the manual says I should be wary of such avoiding floods .Well I do when I can but sometimes, just occasionally, they are unavoidable,Three yeas ago  one of the streets where i live was so flooded that a bloke decided to take his kayak out .I had top negotiate myself otherwise i would not have got home. Another thing it says one should touch a piece of bare metal before opening the fuel cap to get rid of any static electricity which one body might be carrying.Then there is the voltage of over 500 which apparently  is enough to kill if correct procedures are not followed to the letter or stay l;east that the impression I got.Its all a bit hair raising,Was it  a sensible buy I ask myself

These are standard warnings that most manufacturers include in owners manuals - they're not just for hybrids. Similar warnings are included in my current Auris owners manual, that of our previous 2012 Hyundai i20 and that of our current 2015 Hyundai i20.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

These are standard warnings that most manufacturers include in owners manuals - they're not just for hybrids. Similar warnings are included in my current Auris owners manual, that of our previous 2012 Hyundai i20 and that of our current 2015 Hyundai i20.

In other words just to cover themselves and nothing to be overly alarmed about.I thought the advice to touch a piece of bare metal before opening the fuel cap particularly odd.Thanks for the reply

The bare metal thing is standard for static discharge, usually when going inside a computer. I doubt many people do it when filling up - and there isn't usually much bare metal around to touch anyway.

The 500V warning is relevant and specific to hybrids and electrics. I'm sure it is normally well out of reach in normal use but if you work on the car and remove covers you might expose a live part. As with working on electrical items at home you need to take appropriate measures to work safely or leave it someone else who does know how to do it (or that you don't care about :rolleyes: )

• Like 1

Usually if you're going to get a shock it'll happen when you touch the drivers door to close it after getting out.

• Like 1

On 30 April 2016 at 10:04 PM, MikeSh said:

The bare metal thing is standard for static discharge, usually when going inside a computer. I doubt many people do it when filling up - and there isn't usually much bare metal around to touch anyway.

The 500V warning is relevant and specific to hybrids and electrics. I'm sure it is normally well out of reach in normal use but if you work on the car and remove covers you might expose a live part. As with working on electrical items at home you need to take appropriate measures to work safely or leave it someone else who does know how to do it (or that you don't care about :rolleyes: )

Its very unlikely that I will ever want todo any work on it :)