Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Taxing a SORN car

Bg20162016

Hi

Today I've bought a Toyota Yaris from a private seller. They SORN'd the vehicle yesterday so they could get a tax refund. When I try to apply for tax online or over the automated phone system it says a successful application has already happened. I assume this is the SORN? So I cannot tax my vehicle, does anyone know how I can get round this? With it being a bank holiday I cannot speak to anyone at the DVLA until Tuesday!

Thanks in advance!

image.png

Hello - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

Presumably you have the 'new keeper supplement' from the V5C (the vehicle registration document). There's a link within the webpage you've attached (V5C/2 to apply again online) , which you should be able to use to tax the car. 

Bear in mind that until you do tax the car, you could be identified as driving an untaxed car and fined.

Let us know how you get on.

Hi

Yes I have the v5C/2 form. I have clicked on the link, seen on that screenshot, and attempted to try and tax the vehicle and it just takes me back to that same screen.

I wonder if the SORN done by the previous owner hasn't registered on the online system (it does say this can take up to five days) and until it's updated I cannot do my tax online?

I wonder if I will be able to do it at a post office?

Could try that, but of course with tomorrow being a bank holiday, your local  Post Office may be closed until Tuesday. In which case you'd be just as well to contact DVLA on Tuesday and tax over the phone.

Yeah this is exactly what I thought! It seems so ridiculous that it won't let me do it online! It means I cannot drive the car until Tuesday and am having to rely on other people! Surely it can't just be me that's had this problem!

Think the issue is probably down to the previous owner declaring SORN. With the present system once a person taxes a car using the new keeper supplement, a refund is automatically sent to the previous keeper. They've declared SORN to get the refund for the month of May, which would probably have been a minimal amount (£10 or less possibly), rather than wait one day.

Managed to get it done in the Post office today! It was open for the morning even though it was bank holiday! Done in no time with no stress! Thanks for your help!