Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

It was good until...

efegebe

Well, as the title says it was good until last Wednesday when a car was escaping from the police, went into a junction at full speed and my father crashed into it. Here's the thing, our car is insured for $140.000 (U$S9.000) and the cost for repairing it is $46.000 plus $113.000 in parts, so the insurance company says that repairing it is more expensive than the car itself so it'll be declared totally destroyed and they'll pay us $140.000 to buy another car. The actual price of a 2007/2008 Avensis is between $160.000 - $180.000 so we are losing $40.000 (U$S2.600).
Here you have some pictures of the car and a list of car parts needed to repair our car.
I would like to hear some opinions.
Regards!

U$S1 = $15 (Argentinian pesos)

IMG_20160427_165901.jpg

IMG_20160427_170017.jpg

IMG-20160427-WA0012.jpg

IMG-20160427-WA0015.jpg

IMG-20160503-WA0001.png

I know a guy in the UK who had a garbage lorry total the whole side of the Land Rover he had. They wrote it off, but he bought it back off the insurance company and got the car fixed up. Maybe this is possible in Austrailia?

1 hour ago, mickburkesnr said:

I know a guy in the UK who had a garbage lorry total the whole side of the Land Rover he had. They wrote it off, but he bought it back off the insurance company and got the car fixed up. Maybe this is possible in Austrailia?

Australia?

The OP is in Argentina.   I believe the same loss of vehicle value when written off by the insurance company occurs in UK and elsewhere.

The high cost of replacement parts is for all new parts - maybe some of these can be obtained in good condition from another crashed vehicle at lower cost by a small repair garage. But probably the insurance company would not want to do this.

As suggested, the cost of buying the vehicle from the insurance company and having it repaired by a small repair garage should be investigated...

I've absolutely no idea why I said Australia, especially as I spelt it wrong too!

From what the guy I know did, he bought it back for something like £10,000 (the car was worth £40,000 before the crash). I don't think the insurer was too bothered about it as you don't have to say what you're going to be doing with the car. You could scrap it privately etc as far as they're concerned. However, the insurance may go up so check that too.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links