Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2016 Prius Excel - Turning Off Alarm Motion Sensor for Ferries

Bowruss

Hello all

My new Prius came with the shortened manual but it doesn't help with this.  (I've ordered two full paper ones  - owner's and nav. from my dealer).

When I use ferries, they tell us all to disable audible alarms.  I assume this is to do with the ship's motion setting them off.  This sensor is useful in all other cases as it prevents your car being hitched up and towed away silently...

Im assuming it has one (??) but how do I disable the motion sensor in my new Prius' Touch and go plus system? 

Thanks, Russ

If you lock the car with the emergency key it doesn't set the alarm.

1 hour ago, PeteB said:

If you lock the car with the emergency key it doesn't set the alarm.

Ah. Simple as that.  I'll give it a try. Presumably the little red lock icon will not come on or maybe that simply indicates locking and not alarming....?

Russ

I think it comes on soon after switching off to show the engine immobiliser has activated.

Surest way to test is to lock car with key with a window open then reach in, unlock door and open it.  I'd you haven't used the remote, I'd wager the alarm won't go off. 

Can you double lock the car with the key ?

I seem to remember having this feature with a Ford Mondeo, turn the key one way then the other IIRC, it doesn't seem to do it on the Prius.

8 hours ago, PeteB said:

I think it comes on soon after switching off to show the engine immobiliser has activated.

Surest way to test is to lock car with key with a window open then reach in, unlock door and open it.  I'd you haven't used the remote, I'd wager the alarm won't go off. 

Tried it and it works!  When testing you have to remember that the key fob will let you in so put it well away from the car.   Using the metal key it locks and you can reach in and open a door with no alarm. Using the fob the alarm comes on after a 30 sec delay and if you reach in after then, the alarm goes off.  I don't think you can double lock with the metal key.

Problem solved.   Another forum win!!

Tah,  Russ

No, I don't think you can double lock with the key.

From the manual, it does look like you can close any open windows by holding the key in the lock position, or open them by holding in the unlock position, but I can't test this as I have at least another month to wait for my Gen 4.  :(

• 4 years later...

My 2016 Prius Plus’s Catalytic converter was stolen last & the alarm failed to activate. WHY?

14 hours ago, JohnSL said:

My 2016 Prius Plus’s Catalytic converter was stolen last & the alarm failed to activate. WHY?

AFAIK the alarm might not go off if the car isn't disturbed to much. Do you know if the thief jacked up the car? If not, that could be one reason. Also, they usually use chain style pipe cutters rather than power tools if possible because they can then steal it silently. Did you have a CatLoc or similar anti-theft device fitted?

The thieves seem to be able to remove a catalytic convertor without setting off the alarm. I was told they did several Prius cars in the same car park but no alarms went off.  

I have a 2016 BusEd+, and every time I turn it off a message pops up on the MFD asking me if I want to turn off the theft sensor. I ignore it unless I'm on a ferry, and when I do turn it off as far as I can tell it seems to work; last year had a roughish crossing from Castlebay to Oban and happened to be one of the last on; looking down from the rear deck other alarms were going off but mine wasn't. I thought this was standard. I don't think you can activate it from the Touch and Go screen.

20201022_201805.thumb.jpg.1dd85cbee6efb811dfb32c717c49cb87.jpg

Does the Prius even have an external motion (AKA tilt) sensor ?

The message that comes on on the MFD when you turn the car off is for the internal ultrasonic motion sensor.