Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Now the sun is out....

Tony Gee

Hi all

Over the past two days of bright sunshine I have come to loath one aspect of my Aygo, the reflection of the top of the dash on the windscreen when heading into the sun......

I have read people saying wear polarising sunglasses but as I already ware glasses a pair of clip-ons are a pain and look duh!

I was thinking what could be done and have come up with the Idea of covering the top of my dash with black alcantara, it is fairly matt and can can look pretty good if you take your time over it. But before I embark on this I just wondered if anyone had tried it yet and if so how did it turn out, and did it help with the glare.

Kind Regards

Tony Gedalovitch 

Prescription sunglasses?

Yes I have prescription sunglasses but they are not polarised, it would still mean that if I didn't have them in the car and the sun came out I would have the same problem. It is one of those things that we never had a problem with when windscreens were more upright and the dash was only a few inches deep, but now that windscreens are getting raked to nearer 45 degrees and dashes are deeper I think they need to look at the materials used a bit more.

In my 107 I found a combination of cleaning the windscreen and rubbing talcum powder on the dashboard helped with the glare. You REALLY need to clean the windscreen inside, giving it a quick rub isn't good enough. You have to give it plenty of elbow grease. It's hard work but you look out the window and it's clear as day. The talcum powder just dulls it enough to stop the reflection.

The alcantara would be a good shout, and it's something I'm considering just to improve the look of the car inside. But wouldn't it just attract dust and look a bit crap?

Quite a common problem; I remember this affecting me when I had a C1 as a courtesy car!

I had polarised glasses and they didn't help at all - It was driving me mad as the pattern of the dash made it look like there was rain on the screen that you couldn't wipe away.

I got around it at the time by draping a black cloth over the affecting area - This worked very well! (Hint: Don't leave it there when you're out of the car as it gets stupidly hot! :eek:)

In the thread, a few people suggested using a matt coating like ArmorAll to cut down on the reflection.

See also: