Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Location of engine ECU? 2008 model diesel 1.4

Capycorp

Hi guys. I've had a couple (2-4) of engine stops before the engine finally never started again. Got it towed and paid the Toyota service guys a lot of money for telling me they could not get in contact with the Engine ECU. I later found out that I could get to this conclusion by my self, only by looking for the engine symbol in the instrument panel when turning the key. So, when turning the key, at no point does the engine symbol come on, and as the crank turns, the ECU will not start the engine.

since I don't want to pay £2000 for a new ECU (with installing and programming) I wanted to look for bad connections on plugs and sockets, as well as inside the ECU before giving more of my hard earned money to Toyota. I'm an electrician and technician, as long as the ECU is not toasted I think I can fix the problem. The servo stearing worked when getting towed, up until the Battery was so low on volt that it stopped working (super heavy stearing was fun when getting the car in to my garage..).

I'll take any help I can get along the way, and right now I need know where I can find the engine ECU. Is it behind the glove compartment? Is it in the engine room close to the glove compartment? Where are the fuses? I'm no mechanic and do not normally work on cars but I guess it's time to start learning!

Hello Casper - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

The diesel engine used in the Aygo, Citroen C1 and Peugeot 107 was a PSA (Peugeot/Citroen) diesel, which was also used in a variety of PSA models (C2, C3, 206, etc).

The ECU is buried at the back of the engine bay between the engine and bulkhead, highlighted 89661A:

D4d Aygo.png

Thanks for the replies. I hope I'll have the time to take a look at it next weekend:)

Ok, so I think the have located the ECU. It wasn't that difficult, problem will probably be getting it out. I have attached a picture of the ECU and have a question; -does the number at the bottom right, "YV012" represents the year ECU was manufactured?

image.jpeg

Not quite the number is a part number:

89661 is the PNC part name code and identifies the part as an engine control unit ( applies to all models )

YV012 is the individual part indentifier, in this case a Aygo D4D fitted between Nov 2007 & Feb 2009, it has also been superseded by a newer part 89661-YV013

Thanks Devon. I was wondering if I could get a new ECU on warranty if they had swapped it on service in 2012 but then that's out of the question. I have successfully removed ECU from the car.

image.jpeg

This does not look promising.. 

image.jpeg

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links