Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Idle Pully on the Tensioner serviceable?

roks

Hi All,

After hearing a new noise in the aux belt area, took the belt off and the only pully thats making the slightest noise when spinning by hand is the idler pully on the tensioner. The noise is more like a light grinding noise when the engine is running with the belt on.

Is there any way replace the pully or do I need to replace the whole arm?

Reagrds,

Roks.

What does your local toyota spares dept say ?

If you have it out of the car, does it look like you can fit a new bearing into it yourself ?

While you have the arm off, check the bearings on either end of the little damper, they can wear quiet badly according to some folk and are expensive to buy,again the whole arm  and damper, I think.

Checked mine out some time ago when I change the belt, but play minimal.

Only available as a complete assembly, part number 16620-0W093 from your local Toyota parts department

Corolla1.4 1.6 tensioner.png

21 hours ago, oldcodger said:

If you have it out of the car, does it look like you can fit a new bearing into it yourself ?

I took the little cover of, its got a torx screw/bolt, dont understand why they say to replace the whole arm. Cheapest one is about £75.

I will see if i can take measurements and find a pully same size. I'll also check the bearings option but pulley will be easier I think.20160507_123918.jpg

Well, I've changed the pulley, £6.99 from eBay. Used a long torx T50 allen key, as couldn't get wrench with torx bit in there, not enough space. Existing dust cover does not fit but I thibk it will be ok.

20160512_165159.jpg20160508_191726.jpg

I  dont know if I got rid of the bearing noise, l can still hear a little bit,  perhaps its something else? I'll give this one time to bed it to see if there is any improvement.

what else could it be? Non of the other pulleys made any noise when I spun it by hand.

That a good price, can only see them on eBay from £9.36 all the way up to £60 at the motor factors.

Did the new one make any noise when spun by hand ?   - would not expect a new bearing to 'bed in' as such.

Is the engine running  "noise" any different with the new pulley on  ?

Rather than testing by hand, might be one of those noises you can only get then things are running at normal rpm, so could be alternator, water pump ,air con units.

You can get the cheapo car engine stethoscopes, though rather dangerous to use next to the moving belt, but you might hear one unit making more noise than the others.

Unless you are going touring over the next few weeks, then perhaps let it run and see if it gets any worse/easier to define.

The most likely source is often the water pump/bearing as it has the harshest life,

The new pulley was firm and smooth on hand where as the old was spinning at the slighest touch.

For the first couple starts engine did sound noisier then it seemed to back to normal and that bearing noise is not as loud as before. I'll leave it until it gets worser.

The eBay item number is 161868788492, it says rav4 but I went with the measurement 70mmx26mm and looked very similar so went for that.

Thanks for the tips, will see how it goes.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links