Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Problem after a new clutch is installed

Susansfo

I just had a new clutch installed and now the transmission is making a whining sound unless the clutch is depressed.  Any idea what this could be?  Is it safe to drive for now?  Is this serious?  I just replaced the engine so I am concern the transmission is now going.

Which engine is it? Is the gearbox manual or MMT (auto)?

Sounds like it could be clutch release bearing.

Very unlikely to be the clutch release bearing, the OP says the transmission is making a whining sound unless the clutch is depressed.

If it was the release bearing that was faulty it would only make a noise when the pedal was depressed. 

The noise could be coming from the first motion (or primary) shaft bearing which is turning all the time even in neutral with the clutch pedal released and only stops turning when the clutch pedal is depressed. Possibly no oil or very little oil in the gearbox..     

Sorry, I don't know what kind of engine it is especially seeing they just installed a new one but it is a manual transmission.  My guess is whatever was standard on a 2007 hatchback.  My mechanic doesn't seem to hear the noise.  He found leak in a vacuum hose and said that was it but it wasn't.

5 hours ago, Susansfo said:

Sorry, I don't know what kind of engine it is especially seeing they just installed a new one but it is a manual transmission.  My guess is whatever was standard on a 2007 hatchback.

There were generally three engine options - 1.0 petrol, 1.33 petrol or 1.4 diesel.

What do you fill the tank with?