Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aux belt repeatedly going slack

yossarian247

Hi all,

This is a bit of an odd problem. Late last year the water pump on my Auris 1.6 Valvematic starting making a scraping/rattling noise at tickover so I got a local garage to replace the pump, and change the auxiliary/serpentine belt at the same time. This cured the rattling noise from the pump, but a few days later the belt began squealing on cold starts. I took the car back to the garage, they adjusted the manual belt tensioner and the squealing stopped for about a month, then came back again. I returned the car to the garage and yet again they adjusted the tension and the squealing noise on cold starts went away for another 6 weeks or so, then returned again! I checked the aux belt (with the old finger/thumb twist method) found it slightly slack, and re-tensioned it myself. Fine again for another month then I was getting a slight 'chirp' on start -up, not as bad as before but noticeable, so again I re-tensioned it!

It seems to be slightly losing tension on it's own in 4-6 weeks. The position of the other pulleys don't appear to be moving, so I can only guess that the belt is stretching? I've changed aux belts on other cars over the years and never had this problem, but then most of them had auto-tensioners which the Auris doesn't.

Anyone else had this issue? Is it just a cheap/rubbish belt that's stretching or something more serious?

Nick check the pulley and see if it is shiny all the way down to the bottom of the "V" ? The belt should only be contacting the top half or so and not the bottom of it.                          A good belt will not stretch due to the fibres running inside it.Pulleys are made much lighter now and I suppose it is just possible that an over-tightened belt could cause the sides to open up and give rise to your problem 

Del

Hi Del,

Thanks, but the belt is the multi-rib type so the pulley surfaces are flat rather than v-shaped. I'm thinking it's probably the belt, but I've never known a belt to stretch so much and so quickly before. Perhaps the answer is to go to Toyota and get an OEM belt, but for now I'll keep re-tensioning this one and see if it stretches any further. I guess at some point it will either stop stretching,  or reach the limit of the tensioner, .......or snap!

The belt isn't fitted 'inside out' is it by any chance?  Ensure the ribbed side runs on the ribbed pulleys and the flat side on the flat pulleys.

• Like 1

Thanks Alan. As far as I recall the belt is fitted the right way round but I will double check.