Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mk1 Yaris - have you replaced the OEM horn?

Silver Yaris

The horn on my 2005 mk1 Yaris T-sport is absolutely ***** - I could scream louder and I'm sure that the disability scooter's have louder horn's :-)

My question is, what have people replaced them with and is it simply a straight swap as it unplug the connector on the existing one and plug the new one in?

Will other Toyota horn's fit the Yaris (which I know are louder) or am I better off going for an after-market one?

I don't want anything ridiculous like air-horns, I just want something that people will hear.

Thanks

I replaced the horn not long ago on my stepdaughter's 2002 mk1 Yaris as it had begun to only work intermittently. It was very straightforward apart from one tiny detail.

The OEM horn has just one connection, being the push fit connector for the positive wire, with the unit being 'grounded' through the metal bracket and bolt attaching it to the car. I fitted an aftermarket horn by the same method and was annoyed when it didn't work. After a bit of head scratching it occurred to me that aftermarket horns aren't usually grounded through the bracket but need a separate negative connection. The new horn had two terminals instead of one, the extra one being for a negative. This was done quite easily using a spade terminal connected to a short piece of wire, earthed by wrapping the bare end of the wire around the thread of the bolt attaching the horn to the bodywork. With that in place the new horn then worked perfectly.

What horn did you go for and how much of an improvement was it over the OEM one?

If Frosty pops in with his suggestion, please ignore it. :unsure:

On 17/05/2016 at 6:54 PM, Silver Yaris said:

What horn did you go for and how much of an improvement was it over the OEM one?

The cheapest one I could find on eBay, it was just to make the car roadworthy again as the old horn had more or less packed up by then. I don't know if it was any louder than the original. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links