Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auto wipers not working

jamski

Hi all.

so today was the first rain we've had since I've had the car, and the auto wipers don't seem to be working. Before I contact the warranty people, any ideas? Is it a common thing not to work, anything I can try to sort it myself?

Thanks

James. 

Sorry to ask, but are you sure the stalk was in the Auto position?

Yes, that is correct. When you put it in the Auto position the wipers should give one sweep to confirm Auto is on. Does yours do that?

Have you tried the different sensitivity levels on the stalk switch to see if that makes any difference?

Just wondering if the windscreen has been replaced in the past and the sensor was damaged or not connected back up properly?

• Like 1

Just now, Soeley said:

Yes, that is correct. When you put it in the Auto position the wipers should give one sweep to confirm Auto is on. Does yours do that?

Have you tried the different sensitivity levels on the stalk switch to see if that makes any difference?

Just wondering if the windscreen has been replaced in the past and the sensor was damaged or not connected back up properly?

Yeah I get the one wipe. Tried the stalk settings but no difference. The sensor was actually hanging down when I picked the car up but didn't notice until half an hour down the road and the place I got it from was closed. It's not local to me either but the warranty SHOULD cover it. I just pushed the sensor back onto the windscreen and didn't think any more of it. Obviously not right though.

Just pulled it off the screen again and it is working, but obviously not attached to the screen properly. When I take it off it goes a bit mental, but as soon as it's back on again, nothing. So there's something not right there. Thanks for the help.

I hope the garage sorts it out for you then, without any hassle.

The sensor should clip onto the window and is held in place by a metal plate bonded onto the screen. 

I removed my one when the screen was changed and it's quite involved, not just a stuck on thing. 

Craig.

• Like 1

Yeah, the metal bracket is still on the screen. I can't seem to get the unit back on it properly though, that's the issue I think. Perhaps I need to try and take it apart a bit more? Any ideas?

1 minute ago, craggle said:

The sensor should clip onto the window and is held in place by a metal plate bonded onto the screen. 

I removed my one when the screen was changed and it's quite involved, not just a stuck on thing. 

Craig.

To fix the sensor correctly you need to pull out the stopper across the bottom edge:

A011ALBE01

push the sensor on to the four prongs then upwards and then push the stopper back in.

Also there should be a small clear gel like pad between the sensor and the screen:

A011BRVE02  

without the "tape" ( as called by Toyota ) the sensor cannot see out of the glass correctly and therefore cant see the rain.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Devon Aygo said:

To fix the sensor correctly you need to pull out the stopper across the bottom edge:

A011ALBE01

push the sensor on to the four prongs then upwards and then push the stopper back in.

Also there should be a small clear gel like pad between the sensor and the screen:

A011BRVE02  

without the "tape" ( as called by Toyota ) the sensor cannot see out of the glass correctly and therefore cant see the rain.

Having seen this before would have saved me a lot of pushing and pulling! Finally found the little pull out at the bottom and we're now attached properly. The little pad was there. The sensor was quite greasy, not sure if it should be or not. Anyway, I think it's working now. Went a bit mental when I first attached it, then settled down. Left the car running for a couple of minutes and it didn't do anything until I tapped the windscreen in front of the sensor then they went once then stopped.

So there's nothing serious wrong, we'll wait and see when we have rain next. :) Thanks all.

My sensor was quite oily as well when I removed it for the screen to be replaced. Wasn't sure what it was so I cleaned the sensor being careful not to scratch the sensing face. 

It seems to work okay after being cleaned.

Craig.

• Like 1

All working perfectly this morning! Thanks for all the help. :)

• Like 1