Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

After market Head Unit with after market Speakers - Power (Watt) Question

mickburkesnr

I have bought a Corolla E11 (1998), and it came with the stock Toyota tape deck. While I still own some tapes I generally listen to podcasts and other music on my iPod, so decided to get rid. Because I'm on a budget and I don't want to throw a tonne of money at the car (it only cost me £250) I stalked eBay and managed to buy a Sony DSX-A40UI (link to specs) for about £20. I installed it yesterday to make sure it worked as the seller neglected to tell me that it was missing the polystyrene so it had been rattling around the box at Royal Mail's pleasure, and sure enough it worked. Radio worked, iPod worked, the radio turned on and off with the car, so it's all good.

However, I hadn't actually listened to any sort of music or tried the radio at all in the car previously, and was surprised to hear how crap it sounded. The sound in the car isn't "full". There's a distinct lack of bass, and there's a buzzing from one of the rear Speakers. So I thought I'd replace the four Speakers in the car.

Having looked on the eBay and other places, I've seen that the Speakers are often advertised as 300w speakers. What's concerned me is that the head unit says it can out put 55w to 4 speakers. I know there is a difference in the watts that are advertised with speakers, but I can't remember how it's different. Like a figure quoted in one watt is completely different to the watt that is drawn on the power. If this makes sense? Could someone clarify this for me?

Depending how the four speaker change goes, I was also considering putting in a sub in the car as well. For this I know I would have to purchase an amplifier, so if the four speakers that are quoted as 300W (150W each) are going to need an amp anyway I'll get the amp too. But if I don't need to purchase the amp to make the four speakers work then I'll leave this for a while. Here are the speakers in question.

But yeah, any help I'd appreciate it!

• 2 weeks later...

read description of Speakers, the rms (constant) output of the Speakers is 35w, 150w is peak, so you could use them without an amp, just they wont be there full potential when they get really **** loud, bare in mind 50w is loud asf anyway

• 4 weeks later...
On 24/05/2016 at 1:40 PM, Mxcy said:

read description of speakers, the rms (constant) output of the speakers is 35w, 150w is peak, so you could use them without an amp, just they wont be there full potential when they get really **** loud, bare in mind 50w is loud asf anyway

Thanks Mxcy. The head unit says 55w is that referring to the RMS? As I don't want to plug the 150w's in and blow it up.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2016 at 1:27 PM, mickburkesnr said:

Thanks Mxcy. The head unit says 55w is that referring to the RMS? As I don't want to plug the 150w's in and blow it up.

link to headunit? it will be peak power, rms will be about 22w or so, you will need an amp

Sony DSX A40UI

Since posting this I've also found out my old iPod Classic doesn't work with it. Highly annoyed!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links