Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Airbag/SRS ECU replacement part number?

stevexyg

Hi all, I was hoping someone could kindly help with my issue.

I have the airbag light on (MOT due) and the flash code is 31 (ECU fault?) when I jump connectors 4+13.

After re-seating the ECU connectors and turning off the airbag light by following the 'paperclip method' it came on again after 15mins of driving.

So I'm now trying to source an identical used-part Corolla ECU but mine appears to be from a Verso??

The code numbers on my ECU are  89170-02180 TRW 207454-103  and this is an identical one - http://www.cardumps.com/unit/show/toyota/corollaverso/airbag/file/25667

So do I need the exact replacement for this Verso part (if it is a Verso part?) or will any Corolla ECU from the time (2002) do? 

Many thanks,

Steve

Do not have any names to hand, but there are places out there that do ECU repairs by mail order, read about then not so long ago in the Car Mechanics magazine.

Might be better getting yours sorted, if possible, rather than introducing unknown devices ..?

( thought code 0031  (OBD1 or OBD2) was a sensor fault ?)

Why not try the old ESS trick (environmental stress screening):

Remove ECU, place in freezer overnight then put in electric oven and ramp up slowly to 100 deg C for an hour. Turn off oven and allow ECU to stabilise down to room temperature for at least 8 hours then re-install in vehicle. Whatcha got to lose?

On 5/12/2016 at 9:03 PM, oldcodger said:

Do not have any names to hand, but there are places out there that do ECU repairs by mail order, read about then not so long ago in the Car Mechanics magazine.

Might be better getting yours sorted, if possible, rather than introducing unknown devices ..?

( thought code 0031  (OBD1 or OBD2) was a sensor fault ?)

It's flash code 31 I'm getting not 0031, so the airbag light is flashing that code rather than me reading it off a scan device. Have read in a few sources that's the ECU fault flash code. 

Yes I've seen a few sites offering 'repair' but the only ones so far have just been offering to reset the device after an airbag deployment - basically clearing the history. My fault seems to be hardware related I would guess so not sure they could fix but I'll contact some see what they say. Thanks for that.

7 hours ago, TomdeGuerre said:

Why not try the old ESS trick (environmental stress screening):

Remove ECU, place in freezer overnight then put in electric oven and ramp up slowly to 100 deg C for an hour. Turn off oven and allow ECU to stabilise down to room temperature for at least 8 hours then re-install in vehicle. Whatcha got to lose?

Errrrrrr it's an idea! I'll look into it see what I can find out. But my cooking is rubbish and I'd probably end up burning it in the oven. Ta. 

Do not know if you have sorted your ECU problem, but in the new months , June edition,  of Car Mechanics there is a lengthy 9 page article on ECU repairs.

A quick read does not seem to have any reference to your specific error codes but the whole spread is based on  ECUTesting.com workshop practices.

Thanks I'll have a look today in Smiths for that.

No haven't sorted it yet, I got a few quotes of around £35 from various online parts breakers but matching the part number has been problematic and the one that had an exact match wanted £65. So being tight I put the car in for the re-test with some tape over the airbag light. Not a longterm fix obviously so I'll keep looking for a decently priced part or fix.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links