Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Long journeys

MCR_Aygo

Hey,

So at the end of the month i'm going to be driving from Manchester to Newquay in my 2015 Aygo x-play.

Has anyone had much experience of taking the aygo on long journeys like this? I know it's not ideal being a city car.

I just wanted to know if there's anything to look out for / potential problems when doing such a big journey. (I'll definitely be taking a few breaks along the way)

jack

Hi,

My other half often drives from Manchester to Cambridge, no problems and she manages to drive there and back without worrying about filling up. Unlike when i had my corolla verso and that had a fuel tank twice the size.

Just not as comfortable on the long journey, but easy to park.

I drove my 107 (which is more or less the same as your Aygo) from Birmingham to Budapest in Hungary, a round trip of 3,000 miles over 2 weeks - as we were visiting different countries etc. The longest stint I did in it was coming back from Budapest I drove straight to Munich because I picked up a puncture and I didn't trust the garages in Hungary. In this country I drove from Birmingham to Oban via Glasgow as well. The car wasn't too bad actually, if someone told me I had to drive it from Birmingham to Moscow tomorrow I wouldn't say no.

The only thing to look out for is just your own stamina. If you feel tired just pull over. Personally I think the car is that basic it'll keep you awake anyway. Keep hydrated too, and don't be getting in to races with cars that can get to 100mph quicker than your car can get to 80mph!

3 hours ago, Anthony Poli said:

Hi,

My other half often drives from Manchester to Cambridge, no problems and she manages to drive there and back without worrying about filling up. Unlike when i had my corolla verso and that had a fuel tank twice the size.

Just not as comfortable on the long journey, but easy to park.

You're definitely right about the comfort. Easy to park is a good perk for the small port towns of cornwall and on street parking :)

1 hour ago, mickburkesnr said:

I drove my 107 (which is more or less the same as your Aygo) from Birmingham to Budapest in Hungary, a round trip of 3,000 miles over 2 weeks - as we were visiting different countries etc. The longest stint I did in it was coming back from Budapest I drove straight to Munich because I picked up a puncture and I didn't trust the garages in Hungary. In this country I drove from Birmingham to Oban via Glasgow as well. The car wasn't too bad actually, if someone told me I had to drive it from Birmingham to Moscow tomorrow I wouldn't say no.

The only thing to look out for is just your own stamina. If you feel tired just pull over. Personally I think the car is that basic it'll keep you awake anyway. Keep hydrated too, and don't be getting in to races with cars that can get to 100mph quicker than your car can get to 80mph!

That sounds like quite the trip, I'll definitely be taking lots of breaks, thanks for the re-assurance :) 

I've done several reasonably long trips with no problems Example. From Bath area to Derby and to Stevenage ( mostly all motorway ) and it was fine. Surprisingly refined at Motorway speeds in fact.

Part of the trip up to Derby took in the Fosseway and the car really buzzed along ( and the Sat Nav didn't miss a beat although it got a bit "scenic route" near Derby)

I can only maybe  point that I was in the car by myself , with little or no luggage. With passenger(s) and their luggage the car may be less pleasant to drive I guess.

I had my 107 for almost 10 years and have done some 400miles+ trips. In fact, the seats are surprisingly comfortable for long drives, but it is pretty tiring because you really have to grab the steering wheel tight whenever the car is over 60mph. I later switched to wider 15" wheels and they improved stability a lot, they are much better than the standard 14" wheels, especially when you drive pass HGVs on motorways. One small adventure was that when I drove from Cambridgeshire back to London in heavy snow, while all those heavy sedans got stuck in the snow, my small car just zipped through with very little problem. But looking back from now, it was rather dangerous and unwise to continue my journey on the M11 with almost zero visibility, I got lucky for not crashing into other cars or barriers.

I done a few trips - trip to Lincoln show ground, Derby etc from Huddersfield west yorkshire in my 2014 old model Aygo, spent most of my time overtaking cars and really buzzing along. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links