Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2016 Prius USB Audio problems.

GerryJ

I seem to be having problems playing music through the USB port. I believe it has happened since the upgrade to map 6.7.0W, when the software had a major upgrade also. If I select USB audio sometimes it will play music OK for a while and then for no reason just freeze. If I select another music source i.e. the radio which will play OK and then go back to the USB I get the message "loading", but it will not load any music. Sometimes when I select USB audio for the first time I get the "loading" message right away. Unplugging the USB stick and reinserting it just continues to give me the "loading" message. Is anybody else having these problems. I have tried another USB memory stick but I get the same problem.

I suspect your problem is, like you say, the upgrade software, I have a Gen 4 Prius and I can play music fine from the USB Port, perhaps a visit to the dealer to ask for advice?

I have exactly the same problem. All was working fine until the 6.7.0 update. My system is on a Prius+ with all the bells and whistles. It works now however, but it appears to be caused by the number of tracks on the USB stick. Since I have deleted loads all works well. It seems that 1900 tracks or there abouts is the limit applied since the update

Annoying somewhat. I am going to contact Toyota and see if there is a fix in the pipeline.

What is more annoying is the complete change in menu locations and items. The system is totally different. All the previous features are there, just more awkward to find until I get used to it. Not fond of the new traffic camera ping noise either, preferred the old beep. While on that subject, my 2014 Prius+ the traffic camera beep had an independent volume to that of the nav. This was good as I prefer not to have the nav speaking at me all of the time. Now I have no option if I want to be warned of speed cameras as the volumes are linked.

Thanks phill111 for replying. I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one with this problem. I will try deleting some of my tracks on the USB and see if this resolves the problem.

I have the same problem on occasions. I thought it might be the number of albums I put on the stick.

Another annoying thing is the dab radio readout, if you switch channels, the lower scrolling information has a habit of vanishing. Some channels seem OK, others are rather prone. Not the end of the world, but really annoying when you get half way reading a line and it vanishes completely.

Roll on the next update, maybe they will fix the glitches.

I experience the same problem in The Netherlands after upgrading to 6.7.0WH. I have a 32GB USB-stick with 3000+ songs on it. I will try to remove some albums and see if that solves the issue. :-(

Can you confirm that not only USB stops playing, but also bluetooth audio and AUX become unresponsive? Radio keeps playing fine.

Yep, mine locks in exactly that way.

The other frustrating bug since the update is the blooming speed camera warning gets carried away. I get more bongs than a druggy on a night out in Amsterdam. Driving into London today it is lucky for the car I didn't have a hammer to hand.

I can confirm that it works a lot better with only 1800+ files, no crashes anymore. In shuffle mode it is still not bug free, because the file numbering is sometimes wrong: it keeps returning to 1/1823 when I switch to bluetooth and back to USB. 

Reducing the number of tracks on the USB stick does indeed cure the problem. Thank you Phill111 for providing the answer to this problem.

I'm a future Auris TS driver and to be honest this is really not a fix...

Don't get me wrong! It's great that you (Phill) found the problem and we have a workaround.

But I think this really needs to be fixed by Toyota.

At the moment I have a Peugeot 208 (2012 model) with a fully loaded 32GB usb stick. More than 3000 songs without problems.

Hopefully it will be fixed soon and I don't have to delete over 1200 songs to be able to use it in my NEW car...

I agree. To be fair though, I have driven many cars over the years as a company car driver and apart from this particular software update Toyota have been amongst the most stable and feature packed of all the infotainments systems I have encountered. It is in stark contrast to the Mazda CX-5 I had for a few months, which required weekly trips to the garage every time the system locked up, or melted a USB stick. After 14 trips to the garage, 11 melted USB sticks, 2 replacement sat nav units and 2 Blutetooth/USB units I sent the car back and ordered a Prius+ again. In the intervening period I had a 308. The system in that is not bad but not quite as good IMHO as the Toyota one. It also frustrated me that to simply change something such as temperature you needed to take your eyes off the road and go through a menu system as almost everything has been integrated into their menu system.

It was however the Mazda that gave me the idea about the number of tracks as that (and the Renault, which shares the same system) has a limit of 1900 tracks detailed in their manual. Most of these systems use open source software libraries. It may be that one of these libraries has introduced a limit unbeknown to the software team at Toyota. I really hope the next update fixes it.

Cheers Phill for the heads up!

• 1 month later...

Same problem here, Toyota has no clue. Numerous crashes of apps, voice recognition, a phantom Toyota online (empty info dut not deletable) appeared, I wanted to punch the dam thing. Then it all went away except the USB / bluetooth problems.

Mine has crashed quite a bit in the last few weeks. After a lot of back and forth with Toyota it is going into the garage next week. Somehow I think we will have to wait for the next software update.

I stand by my decision to not even attempt an update.  I hardly use the SatNav (as with my last Gen 3 Prius) as while it looks good and works ok, the maps are vastly out of date compared to my TomTom with its lifetime free quarterly updates, and the live traffic on the TomTom is the best I've seen on any system.  The RDS traffic on the built in system is woeful!

My memory stick only has 200-300 tracks, and works fine, so I'm certainly not keep to risk causing problems.

I must say though, even with MP3 tracks, the sound quality on the Excel's audio system is really excellent.

The built in system can also use Tom Tom live traffic.

• 4 weeks later...
On 30 July 2016 at 10:20 PM, Phill111 said:

The built in system can also use Tom Tom live traffic.

Interesting, how do you access TT?

Concerning the other matter of frozen music from USB and bluetooth.  I have been having this problem as well.  I picked the car up new from the dealer to find I had the old software installed.  My music played fine on this version but when it was eventually updated to the infamous 6.7 it started freezing as described in the earlier posts. This was with the same USB stick that had worked with the old software.  It will sometimes last a 2 hour or more journey but at other times it will only last 2 or 3 tracks.  Incidentally, I have noticed a significant dropout always occurs on the first track.  The update seems to work ok in all the other functions I have used to date.

I have queried this with my dealer and they have passed it on to the tech team at Toyota (presumably UK).  They claim this is the only case they know about and are now asking me what phone and operating system I use and that's where we are at the moment. 

Has anybody got any further than this, other than the workaround mentioned earlier?

Please keep me informed as to what they suggest. Mine was reported to Toyota months ago and I still have no resolution. It has been in the garage etc but still no feedback. I am getting very frustrated by this.

As for using TT, that is what it uses when you get traffic updates via the internet rather than radio. You can also download a TT speed camera app.

• Like 1

My workaround is to go nowhere near the update, and stick to my trusty TomTom 6000!

Toyota changed the Satnav HDD and all problems were back before I even got home. All my traffic, speedcamera etc subscriptions are lost. I'm never buying anything from them again. 

Same problem with my brand new Prius 4G. I have used three different pendrives, a 32Gb Toshiba, a 64gb Toshiba and a 128Gb Samsung.

With a 4Gb Kingston and a 4Gb Sandisk it never crashed. As you say, the number of tracks has a lot to do with the problem, but I like to take with me a lot of music (literally thousands of songs).

When the problem appears, bluetooth and external line also fail. As you know, I have to switch off and turn on again in order to keep on listening to my music.

When I am driving on a city it's a minor problem, but this is not the case when driving on a motorway...

I have informed to my Toyota dealer, but they had no idea and will ask to their technicians.

Greetings from Spain.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!

I went to my local dealer this week. They had put in contact with engineering, and they told them that they had this issue reported and it will be solved on next upgrade.

I hope this is right...

Regards.