Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

spare wheel

TimothyB

Hi, Everyone.

just bought a 64 yaris 1.33, it has no spare wheel as usual with cars these days,

Question i know i can fit a space saver wheel in the boot as there optional extra,

But can u fit a full size spare wheel in the boots depression while keeping the boot floor level?

Don't fancy taking a wheel off to find out :biggrin:

Good question, I also want to know about this. I am thinking of getting a space saver wheel kit at the moment.

I suspect that you can fit in a full size wheel but the boot flooring/lining has to be modified. 

Modifying the floor wouldn't be too hard, A simple wooden frame would lift the floor up a tad, Still getting my head around the size of the boot, it's huge!

10 hours ago, TimothyB said:

Modifying the floor wouldn't be too hard, A simple wooden frame would lift the floor up a tad, Still getting my head around the size of the boot, it's huge!

A simple wooden floor would also be capable of serious changing the cars rear end crash signature which could have catastrophic results for anyone ever unfortunately to be in the rear seats in the event of a rear end shunt.

Bit Doom & Gloom Dad! i mean Jonathan :wacko: but i suppose you have a point. Though you wouldn't be talking 4x2's here.

Still with that in mind, if there is a protrusion, then spot welding steel could be a more Health & Safety approach.(warranty issues)

Anyway going to get me tape measure out & then take it from there. Will let u know my findings.

My '14 reg Yaris has a ledge at a higher level in the boot. If I recall correctly there used to be an accessory shelf that fitted on it, but is no longer available.

Thanks Tom, There is indeed ledges higher up, which is a possibility, though this maybe too high for certain applications.

So, i have measured the depth, with the insert removed the highest point of the floor measured against the top of the actual steel of the car's floor is about 13.5cm deep. Add to that an extra 2cm in height from where the removable floor sits on the plastic surround and that gives you about 15.5 cm deep roughly. Tyre size is '175', which if i'm not mistaken translates to 17.5cm, Giving a protrusion  of at least 2cm, Probably another 2cm on top of that in a real world test.

I did notice that the plastic surround is secured to the car by 2 easily accessible bolts on both sides, four angled brackets could easily be made/adapted to piggyback those bolts to the actual height of a full size wheel so you can use the original floor and keep our Guru Member happy.

I guess the next stage is to now try a wheel.

1 hour ago, TimothyB said:

I did notice that the plastic surround is secured to the car by 2 easily accessible bolts on both sides, four angled brackets could easily be made/adapted to piggyback those bolts to the actual height of a full size wheel so you can use the original floor and keep our Guru Member happy.

I guess the next stage is to now try a wheel.

Ok, that sounds quite complicated. If someone bothers to try it out (and possible take some pictures?), it would very much be appreciated. 

" Tyre size is '175', which if i'm not mistaken translates to 17.5cm"

I think you'll find that's the width of the tread, the overall width of the wheel and tyre may be larger.

9 hours ago, bathtub tom said:

" Tyre size is '175', which if i'm not mistaken translates to 17.5cm"

I think you'll find that's the width of the tread, the overall width of the wheel and tyre may be larger.

Yeah my bad, Rough measurement is around 19cm but doesn't count for the bulge halfway down the tyre to the rim.

The wheel will fit but you are going to loose boot height, on another thought you could have the tyre standing up against the back seats and strap/bungie cord it securely pro rally style :biggrin:

Although the seat backs of the rear seats will have had a degree of strengthening to prevent luggage breaking into the passenger compartment in the event of sudden deceleration (ie an impact) - it is extremely doubtful they will withstand the weight of a full size spare wheel in a similar event. 

The spare wheel well is there to contain the spare wheel, if fitted, and any other arrangement (be it a wooden frame or having the spare strapped to the rear seat backs) could invalidate your insurance in the event of a claim. Also your insurer will want to know of the modification - and may not accept it for the above reasons.

Why not just get a spacesaver? Unless you live in an area strewn with sharp debris chances are you'll never need a spare anyway. My cars have about 70,000 miles between them and both spacesaver spares are unused. The last time I can remember actually having a puncture or needing a repair was about 20 years ago (and I've done many tens of thousands of miles since then). And thinking about it now, when you consider the number of cars travelling around I don't see many cars at the side of the road with flats these days.

I'd think the slight inconvenience of a spacesaver (50 mph usually) for a while on rare occasions is unlikely to offset the time, effort and downsides of getting a full size tyre in the boot.

Was thinking about the insurance thing myself :sad:

As for punctures your very lucky. I've replace 3 tyres over the last 7 months, Nails & screws. If you have a blowout on the motorway

You just won't get a shredded tyre chances are you will need your alloy rebuilding or replacing,It does happen and with the condition of uk roads is very likely to happen. It does look like i'll have to go the space route after all taking in to account all thats been said, The problem with a space saver is driving with it on over 200 mile home late at night (no tyre shops open), Not comfortable and can knacker your suspension.

48 minutes ago, TimothyB said:

Was thinking about the insurance thing myself :sad:

As for punctures your very lucky. I've replace 3 tyres over the last 7 months, Nails & screws. If you have a blowout on the motorway

You just won't get a shredded tyre chances are you will need your alloy rebuilding or replacing,It does happen and with the condition of uk roads is very likely to happen. It does look like i'll have to go the space route after all taking in to account all thats been said, The problem with a space saver is driving with it on over 200 mile home late at night (no tyre shops open), Not comfortable and can knacker your suspension.

Some people must be lucky because here we have a lot of pot holes, and they do destroy your tyres. When the tyre is completely blown and occasionally comes off the rim, it is impossible for you to move to a safe spot to wait for AA/RAC, that is the time when you need a spare most. And how about if your mobile has no reception? You cannot even call them, can you? Call me old fashioned, but I do think you need a spare wheel.

"  Call me old fashioned, but I do think you need a spare wheel. "

I'm oldfashioned/traditional too. I would never buy a car without a serviceable spare wheel/tyre included as standard or an extra.

Whan I purchased my pre registered (three weeks previously and 8 miles on the clock:smile:) Yaris I discovered there was only tyre goo and a compressor in the boot. At the point of sealing the deal I insisted a spacesaver kit was included and advised the salesman it would be a deal breaker without.

Just bought this off eBay from burrows car parts for £117 brand new kit:

Genuine Toyota YARIS 2013 ONWARDS

16" SPACE SAVER WHEEL KIT

SUITABLE FOR CARS WITH BOTH 16" AND 15" WHEELS

CONTAINING

WHEEL AND TYRE

jack

HANDLE

WHEEL BRACE

SPAre WHEEL CUSHION

SPAER WHEEL CARRIER

TOOL BAG

Part Number:

42600-09D00

42600-0DM50

Continental TYRE SIZE- 125/70X16

Looks like he has a lot of them in stock. Avoiding a tip run until next week :biggrin:

EDIT: DONT BUY THIS FROM THIS SELLER..ITS NOT A KIT ITS JUST THE WHEEL WHICH IS THE WRONG WHEEL

Edited by TimothyB
Misleading parts by a eBay seller

• 4 weeks later...

So lets just recap here, the doom and gloom merchants (same club as turkeys voting for Christmas) think that putting a full size spare in the well could invalidate the insurance?

What a load of old tosh!

Assuming you've got a spare, where exactly do you put the full size road wheel when you've had a puncture, can't be in the boot/well as it'll invalidate the insurance? (Especially if there happens to be some shorts lengths of 2"x2" in there already!)

Further, where, in my Yaris, would be a good place to transport a small, boot floor sized wooden frame should I decide to make one?

Not in the boot surely, perhaps I should call the insurance company and ask, I'm sure they get calls every day about such dilemma?

I do wish folk would stop spreading these silly rumours else they may one day become self-fulfilling........

If you had actually read the posts, members had advised against constructing a wooden frame to raise the boot floor or strapping a full size spare to the rear seat back. No-one advised against the fitting of a full size spare into the spare wheel well, as no-one actually knew whether or not it would fit.

As it turned out the OP bought the spacesaver spare kit.

Imo you are exaggerating to the extreme.I don't think that anybody has said that simply carrying a full size wheel/tyre in the wheel well (although if at all possible it should be fastened down properly) would invalidate the insurance.

Ah yes, misread / not read correctly, apologies, however, my argument still stands, if you so wish there's nothing to stop you carrying a spare wheel in the boot area, fastened down or not and if someone wants to construct a small wooden frame to raise the boot floor then that too wouldn't be of any concern to the insurance company........

• 2 weeks later...

I can assure you with the plastic surround removed a full size spare will fit the wheel well.As far as insurance is concerned I can only say that some years ago I had my Micra written off while carrying a full size spare and had no problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, Been a couple of months since i posted this, But guess what-------------i had a puncture!

Thanks to Derby's most secure car park in the world i picked up a screw, Tyre Pressure Warning Systems are a god send.

So knowing i've got a space saver in the boot, I calmly took off the wheel and began to fit the spare.

That's when horror sank in as i began to screw the nuts up, The Shoulders of the nuts don't fit the wheel. ( the wheel doesn't sit on em) Luckily i had a can of holts magic foam stuff, Which i can confidently say is  load of *******, The foam goes in-The foam comes out and still coming out after 20 miles, Tin says 6 miles to seal puncture!!

Anyway, after wishing i never went to the tosspot on eBay i mentioned above, Which by the way was not a kit just the wheel. I remembered this thread and thought i'd give the wheel a go. And as Neil above says the wheel does indeed fit, i haven't taken the plastic shrouding out, cars still in warranty, and with the boot floor put back on top theres just over a centimetre protrusion. 

Now thinking whats been said about H&S earlier, to stop the slight wobble of the floor polystyrene blocks glued the corners of the underside of the floor should be sufficient.

To sum up:  Full size spare wheel does fit

Pay no attention or money to the eBay  seller i mentioned above, You won't get whats advertised!

And Holts punture repair can thingy will let you down.

Picky:

wheel.JPG

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links