Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Soon to be ...New Owner (with a few questions)

Rob_

As I'm hoping in the near future to be a new Rav4 owner, could I ask you helpful guys a couple of newbie questions.

I tend to keep my cars for ages and have had my current BMW3 series from new for 16 years.  It's been a great car, one of those part of the family cars and a tear or two will be shed on this motors departure, but it's getting to that time.

Having looked at;
X3 - lovely but way too much money, (I imported my 3 series when the euro was 2 for 1 and was the only way I could afford new)
Honda - nice but no, a bit too, well mumsy...if thats a description
Tiguan - yes I liked this but was just alright nothing special 
Kuga - good to drive but again just didn't strike me as great

I know theres a few more but then I tried a Rav4 - yep, you know when something just presses your button, having had a ford ranger for work for 5 years and loved it, the Rav ignited that same flame...and I love that retro dash.   So as I've been out of car buying game for a long time thought I'd ask you clever people a few questions;

Thinking of a used 2014-2015 2wd 2.0D up to around 20k mileage, as these start around £17k would I be better off haggling the local dealer for monies off a new one.  DO they haggle any more?  I've no part-ex (the Beemer is going to stud) and I don't need finance, though I know they throw in some good deals if you do.  I'm not after a new one really as the depreciation stings my penny pinching character 
Anybody used those CARWOW new car web sites...any good?
If I buy used I understand the 5 year insurance is transferable but is this honored only if the service book is stamped and the proper services have been carried out by the previous owner?
A newbie question but if I buy used from Jones' Garage and it develops a fault does the local Toyota dealer take it in for repair or does it have to go back to Jones' Garage
There's an AWD one close by but except for the beach which I go down to quite often, theres no need for one, so except for the extra traction any reasons for and against the extra 2 wheels?

Sorry for the long post and questions but I thought I'd ask you guys with no agenda just lots of experience with these vehicles before I tackled the dealers with their biases. 

Thanks for any thoughts on this I appreciate it.

As regards the 5 year/100,000 mile warranty, as long as the vehicle has been serviced by a VAT registered garage at the correct service intervals (12 months or 10,000 miles, whichever occurs first) and one has the receipts as evidence of what parts have been used, the warranty should be valid. Obviously if it has a Toyota service history, and  has adhered to the above service intervals, that would probably be best.

If one purchases from a non-Toyota dealer and one experiences issues, the contract of sale is with that dealer, so the first port of call would be to the selling dealer.

I'm not against a Rav 4, in fact I've just had a 2016 petrol one on hire in America for 2 weeks, which was really nice.  But... also check out the Mazda CX-5.

9 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

As regards the 5 year/100,000 mile warranty, as long as the vehicle has been serviced by a VAT registered garage at the correct service intervals (12 months or 10,000 miles, whichever occurs first) and one has the receipts as evidence of what parts have been used, the warranty should be valid. Obviously if it has a Toyota service history, and  has adhered to the above service intervals, that would probably be best.

I have a relation who got is Toyota Avensis serviced via a vat registered etc. got all the receipts etc. etc. and his local Toyota dealer told him they are not willing to do his warranty work, he is now waiting for a reply from Toyota UK... some dealers are just un-willing to help if you don't get the vehicle serviced via them...

4 hours ago, the fox said:

I have a relation who got is Toyota Avensis serviced via a vat registered etc. got all the receipts etc. etc. and his local Toyota dealer told him they are not willing to do his warranty work, he is now waiting for a reply from Toyota UK... some dealers are just un-willing to help if you don't get the vehicle serviced via them...

Could be doubts over adherence to the service regime or parts used.

His local Toyota dealer told him because he had not had the vehicle serviced with them, they are not willing to look at his vehicle, all the book is stamped etc.he bought it there from new, just thought other owners should be aware some dealers can pick and choose if they want to do the warranty work they are not. and this one chooses.... luckily it was his central locking not working, we found the pin switch in the door sticking, at bit of WD40... but he is now worried if something major happens.... so be aware..........

There isn't a franchised dealer anywhere or for any marque who will not try to avoid honouring warranty work where there is a question over the veracity of the service history. It's all well and good coming onto a forum and making allegations when there is no way of verifying the facts of each case. For every negative experience I would suggest that there is a myriad of good stories.

I have no reason to recommend Toyota other than having owned 5 RAVs, 2 Land Cruisers, a Yaris and 2 Aygos since 2002 and having used Toyota dealers in France and in a sizeable chunk of the UK, I've only ever had one bad experience that, at the end of the day, I have put down to bad luck and the statistical liklihood of having some downside experiences over 15 years, so many cars and so many dealers. Apart from that one hiccup all my other Toyota dealer relationships have been fine, if not excellent. I can't say the same for certain BMW dealers that I've come across with company cars over the same period. (And if you want to experience the absolute pits of dealer "service" try out any PSA franchise anywhere in France, especially in Paris.) My local Toyota dealer, whom I've used regularly for the past 7 years, has always provided good trade-in deals and excellent aftercare & service but maybe that's because I've built up a relationship with them and they've seen me as a valued customer - funnily enough, all the other ones (bar that one screw-up) have behaved in a similar way.

Some people posting on here have either had the most appalling bad luck with Toyota or get a kick out of whinging at every opportunity. You can only judge any dealership on the basis of recommendations from people that you know/trust and then on your own experience of them.

Not sure what you are trying to say but, I have personal experience a few years ago when a Toyota dealer refused to look at my wife's ex RAV4, UNDER WARRANTY, because they had not serviced the vehicle, they were reported to Toyota UK, and that's when they decided to change the decision and try and say they had not turned her away and luckily the wife had kept the email from the dealers service manager who had stated the fact, his words are, we have no interest in looking at your Toyota, it as recently happened to a relative, some just don't like the truth sorry......... And I have owned a RAV4 for years and my experience is not one of bad luck, but two dealers more interested in making cash,,, I could go on buy I get warned off or kicked off, I recently had to use a different dealer due to house move, it was for my re-call for the drivers door switch, last week I had a letter from them telling me my RAV4 needed some immediate work, I thought it was the re-call for the seat belt,, when I phoned them is was just to tell me my service was due,,, the letter would have made some owners panic,,, it did not need some immediate it may be ready for A SERVICE...  

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links