Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New owner of a Corolla 2003 questions

PajeroWaala

Hi All

I am the new owner of 2003 Corolla T3.  Hoorah.

The car had been sat on the previous owner's drive for 7 months with a broken drive shaft. As a result the Battery was dead. After replacing it the remote key has stopped working and the trip computer (Navi thinggy) needs setting up.

Can someone point in the direction of instructions to get the remote key working again please.

I didnt get a user manual so I need some instructions on how to use the Navi thing too please.

Thanx in advance

Hi there,

Did the previous owner tell you it had navigation?

I think all the cars have button, just missing the sat nav and pressing the button has no effect. We have had a 2001 corolla GS, a corolla verso 2004 and both had the nav button without any sat nav installed.

Does the car now start after a new Battery?

It starts and drives perfectly. Its done 150,000 miles and there is a minor rattle in the fascia but the auto box and engine seem fine.

i wasnt referring to sat nav but just how to use the screen and what the buttons around it do?

yeah if its got a DVD player somewhere in the car you need a disk for it to work, its not worth it IMO, just get a decent off the shelf sat nav :2guns:

It starts and drives perfectly. Its done 150,000 miles and there is a minor rattle in the fascia but the auto box and engine seem fine.

i wasnt referring to sat nav but just how to use the screen and what the buttons around it do?

Does your dash look it this?

1be4e6a290386ff5dc8fcb21a44ef8a2.jpg

No It looks  more like this. Got the image from another forum question. I am near the car right now but it looks very similar if not identical 

IMG_20160508_133107.jpg

To enter the Trip mode you press the key and it displays one of three different fuel consumption figures, eg mpg or l/per km.

If you press the key again it moves on the the next setting.

When on , say mpg, if you press and hold the Trip key it will Zero the values.

If you want the Trip display to be imperial rather than metric, then either press or turn ( forget which) the Tune/Enter knob.

When finished with the trip display just press the AM-FM Disc key to return to that function.

That said, the Trip  fuel used figures /mpg etc can sometimes be close to what you are actually getting but other times can be out by 10 to 20 %.

Much better to know your car and use the ODO meter on the speedo unit and full up to the top of the tank each time.

Also test out at what point the fuel low / fill up light comes on, mine give me about 50 miles of motorway driving , thought I have only taken /risked it to 30 miles !

Thanx for this info OldCodger. I really appreciate it.

Any ideas on resetting the remote key. That would make life easier.

If you Search the whole Toyota forum with "reset Remote control"  you should find several such entries.

Heres one, for the Avensis but think its the same for the Corolla.

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/155536-remote-control-stopped-working/#comment-1312770

Have you changed the batteries in the remotes, they only last 3-4 years .

No I havent yet. I'll give the reset procedure a go first.

Is there a light in the key that should come on when a button is pressed?

There is a little red led on my key ..

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got some time to play with trip computer today and it does appear to have sat nav built in.

After selecting language it comes up with an arrow and my current location. There are also options for setting a destinations etc.

i could do with some instructions on how to use it properly please.

thanx

I replaced the Battery in the key and the remote locking has started working, without the need for resetting.

I could do with a spare key. Whats the best way and price to get one?

Raz - Thnax for trying. 

On 28/05/2016 at 10:27 PM, PajeroWaala said:

I finally got some time to play with trip computer today and it does appear to have sat nav built in.

After selecting language it comes up with an arrow and my current location. There are also options for setting a destinations etc.

i could do with some instructions on how to use it properly please.

thanx

just buy a current Garmin/Tomtom. A satnav from 2003 (in reality even earlier when integrated into a car) is Stone Age technology. The cost of simply updating the mapping in an integrated unit will pay for a reasonable Garmin/Tomtom.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links