Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Key Fob Help?

jameslee

Hi All,

Apologies for posting a request for help on my first message but please can someone help? I have used the search function and tried several procedures but no luck so far.

I have recently purchased a RAV4 2005 XT3 VVTI (3DR Limited Edition). Unfortunately it only has the basic key; and I want to be able to use the remote central locking ability so new remote key required. I ordered a key with the lock/unlock feature from eBay based on the advice I had read on this forum. The goal is to be able to use the key to open and unlock the doors remotely using the buttons, as well as be able to use it to start the engine.

Once I received the new key fob I took it to the lock smith, got it cut and it now successfully opens the doors, and turns in the ignition to the point where I can hear the starter motor but the car obviously doesn't start because its not yet programmed? Using the search function I have found several methods on this forum of how to program the key but after numerous attempts not had any luck.

I believe I need to carry out two separate procedures but could be wrong; one procedure so that the key is able to start the engine and a separate procedure so that I can use the key to lock/unlock the doors remotely. I really do not have the money to go to the dealer so hopefully with your help I wont need to. The two procedures I have tried several times are:

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/86-4-2-general/85095-trouble-programming-new-transponder-key.html (recommended by the seller on Ebay) and...

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/86-4-2-general/57497-programming-instructions-tds-remote-keyless-2001-rav4.html

Please can someone confirm that I am on the right track and perhaps clear up precisely what procedures I need to do to be able to use the key to start the engine as well as use the remote to unlock and lock the car?

I understand this must be a frequently asked questions so huge thanks to those of you who reply in advance :)

Sorry to bump this thread, I could really use someones help with this.

Never had a RAV (indeed a Toyota of that age) but did the key that you ordered actually have a transponder in it (often the keys on eBay etc. are just the shells & you are expected to transfer over the transponder etc.)? It sounds like the behaviour that you would expect from an immobiliser.

Thank you very much for your reply. This is the key I ordered - the seller offered a sophisticated menu choice to ensure you select the right car, model and year:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291760814175?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Short of taking it apart the button on the key lights up red when you press a button!

Hi There,

I managed to get hold of the previous owner who by chance had the original key fob. Its only luck that they still had it because it was completely damaged and in bits hence why it wasn't offered with the car (I didn't even think to ask at the time). I put the original transponder (complete with new battery) into the new Shell i got from eBay and voila its working and I now have central locking (its the small wins that count!)

In the interest of thoroughness for anyone else with similar issues; I spoke with the dealer who confirmed where I was going wrong with the programming. You need to have the original 'Black' master key in order to get into programming mode; the key I had was 'Grey' so the car would have never have entered in programming mode using any of the known videos. To be honest I just thought it had faded in colour!

They also confirmed that because my key was Grey and with it being a 2005 it wouldn't be possible to simply order a new key (which cost £78) because that too could be programmed without the original master key. I would have also needed to order the car transponder unit which costs £300 and the key + a new spare (plus whatever labor they charge to fit it) and I would have had central locking... that is a hefty price to pay for a little extra convenience.

Moral of the story; always check with previous owner they don't have the original key (regardless if its in bits and they think its broken forever) and never ever lose the original Black master key. Yes... I'm a bit of a car noob but enjoying the RAV4 nonetheless!

The grey keys were "valet" keys & as you have discovered did not have the full feature set. The car probably was delivered new with 2 black & 1 "valet" keys.

Anyway, glad that you are sorted now.

• Like 1