Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

PFL T Sport Oil Leak

JRCorolla2

Hi All,

I wanted to start a thread mainly because i am bemused at why i have an oil leak but also for reference if others seem to find the same issue..

Basically i had the car in for a full service at 123k miles on Tuesday. It came back with an oil leak id class as moderate, ie, after every drive there would be about 5-10 drops of oil on the floor.I sent it to a separate garage to asses the situation as it went for the service with no signs of oil leaks at all, or even EVER recorded on its full service/MOT history and still came back with a leak this bad! It also looks like its dripping from the central bar underneath (the tow catch is attached to this) and the gearbox is showing signs of oil on it and behind it on the lower frame, so the oil drips on the floor around the centre of the engine bay and to the left near the gearbox..

After taking it to the second garage it came back with no evidence of a leak! something i find worrying as i had the car returned and within 10 minutes it was leaking again :mellow: However this morning and after driving it for 5 mins at lunch, no leak?!? i honestly dont know what to think!

either way its booked in in 3 days time and they will have the car for 2 days to see if they can replicate the issues, i will keep you all updated etc...

Just a thought but you say the car just had a service, maybe they spilt some oil when refilling the engine. You could try cleaning up the oil and seeing if any more appears.

2 minutes ago, SanaYusuf said:

Just a thought but you say the car just had a service, maybe they spilt some oil when refilling the engine. You could try cleaning up the oil and seeing if any more appears.

Yeah the garage that i sent it to the second time also said it may be that, however they cleaned it and its still leaking, however ill monitor it tonight to see if i can get a few pics and see if its dripped any more, as i haven't notice anything today which is unusual.

If oil appears to be leaking around the gearbox area that could be coming from the rear crankshaft oil seal. If the engine had been overfilled with oil the crankshaft seals will leak.

Did the first garage tell you what grade of oil they used? Maybe they used 0w 20 and you need a heavier grade of oil

38 minutes ago, TomdeGuerre said:

If oil appears to be leaking around the gearbox area that could be coming from the rear crankshaft oil seal. If the engine had been overfilled with oil the crankshaft seals will leak.

Did the first garage tell you what grade of oil they used? Maybe they used 0w 20 and you need a heavier grade of oil

Hi Tom,

they used 5W30 oil fully synth, and im not sure if the car had semi synth in before either..

With regards to the crankshaft seal leaking, do you know the advisory process to alleviate the leaking? or shall is it advisory to drain the system again and refill to the correct level?

thanks for the help, John.

If the engine was overfilled and the crankshaft seal(s) started leaking the only thing required would be to drain the excess oil out, not even necessary to change it again - providing the right grade of oil was used. Trouble is, with an engine that's done 123k once the crankshaft seal(s) start leaking they might continue to leak even after the oil level was corrected.  In that case the seal(s) would require replacement.

Just a thought, do you think they may have taken your car out and driven it at excessively high speed or done doughnuts or whatever. Some garages are irresponsible like this and it can cause a lot of trouble with older, higher mileage cars which had been performing satisfactorily until then. Like an old boy going out for a night on the tiles and ending up in a hospital bed - there was only one good night out left I him and it was holding him together!!! :biggrin:

13 hours ago, TomdeGuerre said:

If the engine was overfilled and the crankshaft seal(s) started leaking the only thing required would be to drain the excess oil out, not even necessary to change it again - providing the right grade of oil was used. Trouble is, with an engine that's done 123k once the crankshaft seal(s) start leaking they might continue to leak even after the oil level was corrected.  In that case the seal(s) would require replacement.

Just a thought, do you think they may have taken your car out and driven it at excessively high speed or done doughnuts or whatever. Some garages are irresponsible like this and it can cause a lot of trouble with older, higher mileage cars which had been performing satisfactorily until then. Like an old boy going out for a night on the tiles and ending up in a hospital bed - there was only one good night out left I him and it was holding him together!!! :biggrin:

Hi Tom,

many thanks for the help, its been booked in for a crankshaft seal remplacement and im guessing they will empty the oil in order to do this! as ive only had the car a week the previous owner is kindly putting it in for this :happy: As for the previous garage, they didnt even provide me with a list of checks for the full service! also the second garage confirmed that they had used cheap parts, oil filter, air filter etc... im just astounded as to how much damage can be done by people not taking due car with a task as simple as filling oil, although as the car had been garaged for 18 months, it may be the seal thats just had it after all.. ill keep you posted after it goes in.

Hi,

The car has been in the garage, hefty repair carried out on the Rear main seal, not cheap at all! the car was sat for a long time though so thing like this are bound to happen, a new clutch fitted too as they were already down there with the gearbox out!

Glad it's all sorted John. Time to enjoy now buddy 

7 hours ago, RazzerRazor said:

Glad it's all sorted John. Time to enjoy now buddy 

Yeah, lift is so addicting now i can go into it without worrying about my main seal disintegrating!

16 minutes ago, JRCorolla2 said:

Yeah, lift is so addicting now i can go into it without worrying about my main seal disintegrating!

I know what you mean. Used to have a Honda Del Sol with Vtec years ago. Same engine really but a 1.6. Pocket Rocket back then, 2 seater n all. My T Sport is more a weekend car as a I have a company van for week! Prob do about 20miles a week.......all in LIFT :biggrin::biggrin:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links