Do Not Sell My Personal Information

warnings

J.D

2006 2litre petrol man trans, Just had a couple of warning messages come up on the dash. "check vsc system " and " check 4wd system "  apart from taking it to the dealer to get it checked out ,any ideas what they might mean ?  Hopefully just an electrical sensor problem.

VSC Is vehicle stability control, have you switched it off in error !!

Make sure all brake bulbs are working. This fault is similar to the Avensis TRC and VSC coming on due to blown stop lights. 

Just a suggestion, but hopefully this may be the cause.   

Edited by Konrad C
Additional words.

I Have only owned the vehicle a few weeks but the VSC does not seem to be switchable , just checked the bulbs and all ok.  I have booked the car in with the supplying ( non Toyota ) dealer so will see what they say.

As you have the "check vsc system " and " check 4wd system " messages together, I wonder if it could be down to a sticking brake caliper on one of the wheels.

This could cause the wheel sensor on the offending wheel to log an issue to the ECU, due to the wheel not turning as it should.

Hope you get what I mean :rolleyes:

On my car you can switch off the Vsc . The switch is close to the cigar lighter on the left. 

Konrad, you were so close. I took it in to the supplying garage this morning , he plugged it in and it showed a faulty brake light switch. It was switching the lamps on but it was causing this fault. He changed it and all is ok now . John

Keith, I don't have any switches there on my 2006 .

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Update, A couple of weeks later the warning lights came on again, I rang the supplying garage and they said the problem was now the oxygen sensor, which they replaced under guarantee . Its been ok since , so hoping its now sorted. 

• Like 1

On 5/23/2016 at 1:25 PM, J.D said:

Konrad, you were so close. I took it in to the supplying garage this morning , he plugged it in and it showed a faulty brake light switch. It was switching the lamps on but it was causing this fault. He changed it and all is ok now . John

Keith, I don't have any switches there on my 2006 .

15 hours ago, J.D said:

Update, A couple of weeks later the warning lights came on again, I rang the supplying garage and they said the problem was now the oxygen sensor, which they replaced under guarantee . Its been ok since , so hoping its now sorted. 

Hi John, glad the car is all sorted now. The brake switch fault is new to me, but makes sense because is part of the brake light system. I do know that on my brothers Renault Grand Scenic, a faulty brake switch disables the cruise control. Also a warning message appears stating "No Cruise control". Basically on modern cars, vehicle stability control and cruise control systems are connected. The O2 sensor tends to go after about 10 years.

Another bit of info to added to my knowledge bank. I own a diagnostics scanner - Launch CReader - that covers a lot of my cars systems.    

My VSC is non switchable (gen 4.2 2.0 D4D on a 55 plate in XTR trim so it has most of the toys) and the same was true on my 53 plate NRG (same engine - almost - less toys). On later models the AWD system became 4WD below a pre-determined speed and then switched to 2WD.

I've had VSC issues and in my case the logs threw up rear brake issues which are next on the list this w/e. You can buy a lead and software to pull fault codes and live data quite cheaply (£20ish) on a well known auction site. It's very, very handy on a car like this to help you pinpoint issues.