Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

DPF: Replace or Clean? ('56 T180 2.2 D-CAT)

78Portellen

I was thinking about posting some good news about my DPF problems. It had been kicking out smelly white smoke on the daily commute so I took it to main dealer to get an ECU update and that seemed to clear the problem. Apart from the odd puffs of smoke, no concerns...until now. It seems I'm back to square one.

Before the ECU update I tried fuel additive, V-power fuel and regular motorway trips. Two diagnostics showed no error codes and the DPF was showing up clear - in fact the guy wouldn't squirt cleaner down the DPF sensor tube because he said I'd be wasting my money. 

The car had head gasket repair October last year with new injectors. Main dealer cleaned EGR and forced regen shortly after. It runs sweet although I'm certain it's performing below what it's capable of. I've read that this smoking problem occurs toward the end of the life of the DPF, but my car's only done 135K. Surely it's not knackered already!

So here it is - should I get the DPF removed and cleaned or just replace it? The former is obviously cheaper (although still c.£500 for the job). Halfords now do DPF deep clean for big bucks, but I don't know how reliable it is - or any other outfit for that matter. Has anyone gone down the clean route?

Your advice/recommendations would be much appreciated.

Joe

the average life span of a DPF is apparently 80,000 miles. 

Dpf and egr removal with remap, get rid of the associated issues all together for good

Sent from the moon using telepathy

Don't u have to have the dpf fitted for the mot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Supposedly- but my Impreza is missing a cat and that still passes. Depends if the tester knows it should be there and what to look for. Dpf and egr problems are the bane of most modern diesel owners

Sent from the moon using telepathy

• Like 1

Yeah I had a Leon fr550 a few years back with a remap and it broke down on average once a month - just down to the dpf...wouldn't buy a diesel now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

It can also be carbon in the intake manifold and ports. Can also make the car smoke and makes bad performance.

• Like 1

If you want to be sure, replace it with genuine dpf. Two alternatives are get some cheaper compensatory part from eBay etc or get it somewhere to make permanent removal. It can be programmed off if you strip it empty and weld carefully back. Some people put lead etc heavy material on botton if annual inspection guy is too accurate in his job. First one is my suggest. I have made several DPF off modifications in Toyotas but today its more and more risky, about to get caught in inspection. Also black smoke is more visible then. K-factor (smoke limit in inspection) comes too high too, it differs too much of earliel values. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links