Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

More DPF advice please

Ladyowner

HI All. Have been here several times looking for advice about my T180. Ongoing problems with DPF which mean forced regens every 8 or so weeks. Toyota says new DPF needed and want £2.5K or £1.25K for reconditioned one. After last blow up I resolved to get rid of the car and have spent last 2 days traipsing around dealers looking at all sorts - Yetis, Golfs etc all costing loads more money. None would offer me more than £4.5K in part exchange for a £16 plus vehicle.

The thing is, I really love my car and everything else seems a poor relation. So I wondered if anyone here has had a DPF replaced? Is it worth £2K to keep a car worth £4K?

I have driven the car, short trips, longer blasts at weekends for 6 years, so this problem hasn't happened overnight. Are more modern diesels less prone to DPF probs? I know some carry on with regens even after you switch off the ignition.

Thanks for any opinions.

I give this advice a lot, blast it hard down the motorway 80 ish if you can for a good half hour there and back it generally works, it will burn off all the rubbish, you can do a manual re-gen Google the info for that, but in the long run, I would if it was mine... I would loose the DPF, a few firms are now offering the service, my wife had RAV4's since 1993 her last one a 2006 2.2, she lost faith in the Brand, she traded it in for a PHEV they are doing a massive offer at the moment on them, she loves it, I have a 2007 2.2 and thinking of a ASX,,  or try this

Wynn's Diesel Particulate Filter Cleaner

50 minutes ago, Ladyowner said:

None would offer me more than £4.5K in part exchange for a £16 plus vehicle.

From your post your car is at least 6 years old - mass market cars depreciate & you aren't going to get a retail price for a trade-in. If they are all coming in around the same figure that is it's worth to the trade.

"The thing is, I really love my car and everything else seems a poor relation."

Have you looked at a RAV4 Hybrid?

Bin the dpf OR get a car more suited to your driving style. Dpf's aren't designed to clog up, but they do need the right conditions to operate properly. Unfortunately dealers don't explain this when selling cars. Mpg may be great in a diesel, but you'd save more by having a petrol model and not constant issues with the environmental systems (dpf and egr issues).

Sent from the moon using telepathy

Thanks everyone. Think I have to face up to getting different car - I think removing DPF is not an option. Don't like the current Rav 4s so will have to look elsewhere.

Tried sending this via telepathy but my brain filter clogged.

Have you tried a local small back street type of exhaust fitter, I'm sure a replacement DPF is available for your model (not Toyota part), not sure of pricing but it should be in the very low hundreds, I seem to remember one of my old customers with a 180bhp Avensis paid something like £300 and his car ran extremely well after and passed the MOT....

I have managed to ask him about his DPF, he thinks it was a re-manufactured one it's been fitted over twelve months and the car pulls a lot better than it did before, a lot less re-gens, he seems to think it was £200 for the DPF,, plus extra for fitting he still owns the car and everything is perfect with the DPF... hope it helps I would not get rid if you can fix fairly cheaply.....

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links