Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

MIL / Limp Mode.

Barnacle Bill

I've recently bought a 2005 D4D Rav4 with approximately 58,000 miles on the clock.

When its under load, & particularly when I'm towing our caravan (approx 1100 KG loaded), the MIL light comes on & it goes into limp mode on a regular basis.

The garage I bought it from has tried greasing the turbo wastegate rod? which has made it run better when its running, but has not fixed the problem.

I've a suspicion that it has only been used on  short  trips mostly.

HELLLPPPP!!!!!!!

What code is stored in the ECU when the issue occurs ?

P1251 is a detection of an overboost condition from the Turbo so the car cuts power to protect the engine, if you search the Forum for P1251 there are a few threads with varying outcome, but generally the Turbo usually needs an overhaul due to carbon buildup 

Bill

The turbo boost valve Could be a possible cause. Was on mine, though no lights came on in my case. Troublesome part, Puts car into limp mode to.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I might be getting somewhere.

I've had it to the local main dealer for proper diagnostics. Couldn't find much wrong with it, but replaced the fuel filter with a Toyota one.

Bunged two bottles of Forte turbo cleaner in the tank & ran it for a week.

Eventually went into limp mode again, but at least the car seems to have much more power.

My own DTC reader then showed a definite EGR problem.

Squirted a can of Wynns turbo cleaner through the air intake.

Filled it up again with Shell.

Have just towed the caravan for 30 "challenging" miles with no problem, touch wood.

I think it might have been just clogged with carbon from short trips & town driving by the previous owner.

I'll let you know of any further developments, but in the meantime, many thanks for your advice.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links