Do Not Sell My Personal Information

how serious is this?

roks

I had this awful noise metalic noise from my front brakes when moving slow. I didnt put any grease on the back of the pads I think so took them off and applied bit of grease and that resolved that.

While there I noticed a small hole on the piston boot, it was rubbing in the metal dust cover on the piston.

20160512_131039.jpg

Is it possible to replace this boot without making a mess of brake fluid avoid the bleeding process.

Short answer is yes you can change it without disturbing the hydraulics but you'd want to at least pump the piston out a bit to let you clean it after you remove the old boot because it's likely to have some corrosion around it. Once it's cleaned up lubricate it with some rubber grease before you push it back in. You can get repair kits on eBay.

Is there some reason you want to avoid bleeding the brakes, like a broken bleed nipple or something? 

Hi Tom,

I flushed and bled the whole system quite recently, dont have time go through the process again hence trying to keep the job simple and quick.

Thanks.

wow, I called mr T, they want £62.68 for the rebuild kit (rubber boot and seal ring)....does anyone know any good after market rebuild kits?

I found ones made by TRW, which is the manufactorer of the calipers on eBay , but I am a bit sceptical as its from europe:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Reparatursatz-Bremssattel-/121863276295?hash=item1c5f9e0707:g:7LwAAOSwa-dWlLmX

or alternative A.B.S

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CPNWDY6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

If you want seals that are as good as the originals then buy the overhaul kit from Toyota. The aftermarket seal kits from eBay et al are not as good and won't last as long as the originals but they work. When you buy some of these aftermarket brake calipers and cylinders that are much much cheaper than the OEM parts they ar fitted with the cheaper seals but they work. They'll just not last as long.  

Thanks guys, I am going to attempt to change the dust boot only.

I have the confidence to do the full overhaul but just dont have the time now, but I got a feeling that replacing that dust boot will be more difficult that doing the whole thing as I wont be removing the piston.

• 1 month later...

I don't go by Toyota Parts being better than aftermarket brake parts. The calipers on my Corolla are Lucas Girling (now TRW), so if you buy Lucas or TRW seals you are buying OEM quality. If you buy a Toyota part, it is manufactured by Lucas, and not Toyota themselves. Sometimes aftermarket parts can be more cheaply made ie original exhaust components as fitted to a car at the factory are usually made of heavier gauge steel, which is why they usually last a long time. Even genuine aftermarket exhausts are not as good as the one which was fitted to the car at the factory.

ps The seal with the hole in it in the above picture looks more like a dust cover (bellows type) than the actual piston seal. It can probably be replaced by prying it and popping the new one on without any loss of fluid at all. But check the manual and parts catologue first.  

• 1 month later...

Since I will be keeping the car (after tackling the clutch and cv joints) I am thinking of a complete overhaul of the front brakes.

I am not sure what state the piston or the slide pins are at until I dismantle but they do move, thats for sure.

I've checked local mr.T, for both caliper kit £64 or an online toyota £51. Forgot to ask about slide pins and pistons.

Then there are these remanufactured calipers, they work out to be £60 gsf or 81 ecp after returning my old ones. 

Should I also change the rubber brake hoses?

Just looking for some hints and tips and how best to tacle this, keeping cost to minimum.

Are the rebuild kits from brakes int. quite decent?

Also, is there a wrong and right way to fit the anti-squeal shim? Because thats what caused the cut in the dust boot after I did a regrease on the pads carriers sometime ago.

On 15 July 2016 at 9:59 PM, corollamark said:

I don't go by Toyota Parts being better than aftermarket brake parts. The calipers on my Corolla are Lucas Girling (now TRW), so if you buy Lucas or TRW seals you are buying OEM quality. If you buy a Toyota part, it is manufactured by Lucas, and not Toyota themselves. Sometimes aftermarket parts can be more cheaply made ie original exhaust components as fitted to a car at the factory are usually made of heavier gauge steel, which is why they usually last a long time. Even genuine aftermarket exhausts are not as good as the one which was fitted to the car at the factory.

I have worked in the parts manufacturing industry, and the quality control of items supplied to manufactures such as Toyota can be much better than that of items that the manufacturer supplies to the aftermarket.  BTW I am NOT saying that applies to Lucas parts.

As OldDriver says. Lucas parts are good, but when you buy aftermarket parts they may be compatible parts for Lucas calipers, like refurb kits, but not made by Lucas.

I would suggest getting exchange calipers rather than refurb kits, much easier and almost  they same price at the end.

Yes, replace the flexibles, I did as thay cannot be far from corroded /weak, but disconnecting from the rear steel brake pipes is a job - see old drivers post below/car mechnanics article

On 28/08/2016 at 11:57 AM, roks said:

, keeping cost to minimum.

At what cost when cheapos  wear out quickly or fail !!!

Steering and brakes, no compromise in my book .

6 hours ago, oldcodger said:

I would suggest getting exchange calipers rather than refurb kits

Yes, I was thinking that too, ECP has the pagid range, and its close to home so if there is any issue I can run down.

I was only planning to change the front, since they take most of the brunt, there no downside to that is there?

Also thinking of change the disc and pads although there is plenty left on the pads the right side make squealing noise when breaking slowly.  

As to whos refurb calipers are best , cannot say, perhaps others might know.

First measure the disc thickness to see if its within spec and examine for surface defects like grooves/rust etc, new discs need new pads.

Well the discs are measured 23.9mm, surface pretty smooth and the pads have approx. 5-6mm, with even wear on them.

Amount of driving I do, it'll probably last another year but I'll say early maintenance as excuse 😊

Thats just worn half way, and you describe them as all in good condition, think I would wait till replacement necessary - though your choice...

Come late to this discussion.

I've had about 6 Toyotas in my lifetime....Previa, MR2, Avensis, Corolla T Sport, Starlet and Auris.

The main common weakness are the brakes....calipers seizing, brake balance stops working, pads wearing and discs getting cracked  and warped etc.  It seems to me that Toyota brake parts are not of the best quality.

You need to get a brake hose clamp and clamp off the flexible brake hose...take the caliper off and using a refurb kit correctly replace all the parts in the caliper.  Brakeparts are very good..get new caliper sliding pins, new anti squeal shims and new springs.  I would suggest you get a whole new refurbed caliper but that takes a bit of time.  What I did was go to a local scrappy and get a second hand caliper off them for £10 (go to a scrappy where YOU can take the parts off the car) and use that as the returned item for a refurbed caliper.  Get the new caliper and get all the parts together and do the swap.  It maybe that there is already dust passed through that hole into the clean section of then caliper.  Also get someway of winding back the caliper.

I usually replace disks and pads on all my cars, every two years..especially the T sport and the Avensis Verso.  New discs, new pads, check calipers, check slider pins, check brake shoes.  Discs and pads are so cheap these days and also I do not think they are up to the quality of a few years ago unless you start using EBC, green stuff etc.

Thanks for your input guys, all duly noted.

Brakeparts are out of stock on these calliper's, will wait a bit if not I'll have to get the rebuild kits, not decided who get the kit from.