Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Bit Fubar'd I think...

thom1983

Right....couple of weeks ago the old girl started humming again wheel bearing-esc but both front bearings were done less than 10k ago. Defo not gearbox as it continues when you knock it out of gear. Gets worse with speed. Now it's started to squeal intermittently, sounding like the brakes on your bike when they're wet...again at speed. Any ideas guys?? Running out of patience with her now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crap plastic clips on wheel liners come loose and letting arch plastics rub on wheel??

Na not that, checked tyres etc

moving wheels will still turn differential in gearbox

check gearbox oil level and for signs of leaks if the shafts were removed completely or disturbed enough  and re inserted it can be common to tear the lip off the seals from gearbox to driveshafts

or is it auto? still check trans level as low oil can cause aeration and noises

Back it's a manual but will check the box. Thanks

On 5/27/2016 at 9:44 PM, +robster+ said:

moving wheels will still turn differential in gearbox

check gearbox oil level and for signs of leaks if the shafts were removed completely or disturbed enough  and re inserted it can be common to tear the lip off the seals from gearbox to driveshafts

or is it auto? still check trans level as low oil can cause aeration and noises

I will go with the differential or driveshaft bearings, but the sound you describe also could be the brake disc shield rubbing, stone or debris trapped it the brakes or seized/sticking brakes.

The brakes are cheaper and easier to inspect and clean, then test. The transmission is a different matter!   

Right update...one problem fixed...rear brake pads (second set in 10k...) changed, possibly needs new callipers, still rumbling [emoji17]

Worn tyres can cause a 'wheel bearing' type noise too. A Citroen Xsara I used to own had an awful humming/whining noise from the NSR wheel which got worse with speed. I went as far as ordering a new hub/bearing for the car but never got round to fitting it. When I next replaced the tyre on that corner the noise was gone completely. To look at the tyre you'd never have known there was anything wrong, other than tread worn down to about 2-3mm.

Thom, can I share some of the experiences with "wheel bearing" noise I had?

I changed a front wheel bearing then a few years later, the noise came back! Thinking it was the other wheel, I changed that only to find it was the wheel bearing I changed originally. The point is, a bearing recently replaced can still fail! 

Next I had a wheel bear sound at the rear, then discovered it was a tyre. I found a trick to check this. First lower the tyre pressure a little then drive the car. Get somebody to sit in the rear, as this increases the sound. Then increase the tyre pressure, first to the recommended figure, then to a much higher figure. If the sound changes or goes quiet, it is the tyre.

The final fault I had was the gearbox. This is the most expensive to deal with.

I would rather it be the easiest/cheapest fix - the tyre, or a wheel bearing rather than the transmission.

Other things like brakes are easier to check too.

Thanks guys, some really good advice

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links