Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Knock on steering wheel when parking

Baxter01

Either when parking or moving off after being parked their seems to be a knock from the steering when i turn it slightly either direction and move off slowly, happens when slowly moving forward or reversing.

any ideas what is causing this?

when turning corners whilst driving there is no knocking at all

Booked in for the 16th

anyone had similiar issue and know what it could be.

only purchased last week so under dealer warrantly and still in 5 year warrenty until november.  Car been service yearly by toyota dealership where can was purchased

Surprised no one answered you Neil thought somebody would have experienced something like this before. I recall a post or two in the past where it was the brake pads that were causing a knock at very low speed, they were loose in their guides. Taking out the pads, cleaning them off and some copper grease on the sliding surfaces did the trick. Hope it's something simple like that for yours.

Other than this is the car OK?. 

When driving everything seems fine.

start stop not working yet but other auris i had for a month it took 2 weeks for it to kick it and work consistently.

did notice a buzz from behind the glove box, when acc from 1700 to 2000 rpm, barely noticeable in 3rd, much louder in 4th and 5th, goes after passing about 2000 rpm.  Not sure if normal or something loss or cables vibrating and touching at certain rpm to produce the buzz sound.

also when turning whilst indicating, the steering wheel clicks, happened on other auris i had for a month too so possibly common

• 2 months later...

Baxter (hi all!)

I'm having the same issues on my Yaris 1.8. A knock when i'm turning at low speeds, Steven Eagell in Aylesbury wanted to replace the whole steering column at a wooping £1700!!!! Can you confirm with me if you found the exact problem? is it the Intermediate steering shaft? The knock is almost imperceptible and it's something that you feel while driving.

I went to a second workshop which suggested to grease the shaft but i will try to go to oxford to get a second opinion. I'm not a expert but this should be a faulty part not the whole system.

Thanks!

So first off the mastertech agreed that there was a knocking, test drove it with me.  They greased the steering shaft/column.  Didnt fix the problem, drove home and when reversing into drive knocking was still there.

took it back and this time they replaced the universal joint at the base of the column, that was late june and knocking has not come back.

• 2 months later...

i have the same nock on my Ayris 2 its from 10-2013 6-12 i go to my dealer and talk to them over this.

and tell them this:  Look at universal joint at the base of the column

The steering intermediate shaft has been replaced on our car, after the bush replacement only gave a slight (I think?) improvement. The symptoms were as described, a click when going to extremes of lock, and another when turning back. I was told the part (the intermediate shaft that joins the steering wheel to the steering rack, basically, complete with power assist motor etc.) was £700.

Looking at eBay pictures of these, it would seem to be made by Jtekt, an international company that has a factory in South Wales and was a Toyota/TRW co-owned venture once. It would be interesting to know if this is a design or a quality control issue.