Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris 1.2 turbo Tuning box

chrismorrow

On 5/31/2016 at 3:36 PM, gpa said:

Here is the "weaker" dyno and the Air-Fuel ration of the engine.

Observe how nice is the shape of the power and torgue curves. Car has more than 120bhp from 4.200 rpm and up.

Also observer how "poor" is the A/F ration. Only to make it more "rich" someone can extract at least 5-6 more ponies.

Furthermore i am trying to make full use of the mirror link feature which the unit of the car has (PANASONIC) and permits full mirroring  and control of your mobile phone to the head unit. The only problem i have is to make everything work, when the car is "on move" with the handbrake down. Apps like video , youtube etc are not working, but navigation from point A to point B using google maps is working perfectly.

Cheers

toyota auris 1200 turbo ZXP 9101.jpg

toyota auris 1200 turbo ZXP 9101FUELL.jpg

Regarding the locking out of some of the mobile functions when the car is on the move, safety first! 

I think it is a good idea, because the driver should be focused on driving and not distracted. In the UK, it is against the law to show videos within the drivers eye line. There are people driving and texting. I have seen this a few times myself. 

If the passenger wants to watch a movie or go on social media, then that is fine on their own mobile. Not on the main car system whilst being driven.

Toyota/Panasonic have done the correct thing.

i agree, but i strongly believe that everything depends on the drivers maturity mate. Many car accidents happen because drivers drive and play - text with their mobile same time.

• Like 1

Well went on a nice long drive with the car yesterday. From Doncaster to Newcastle, all mainly motorway, i was so surprised at how quiet and easy it is to drive on the motorway. I managed to get up some decent speed when the traffic had cleared and what a great engine the 1.2 turbo is. 6th at 70 is around 2200-2500rpm i think, which is brilliant for economy. However if you do floor it at that point it does pull well, but if you want to speed up quicker e.g., climbing a hill then obviously you do have to change down. I honestly don't think I'm going to bother trying to tune this engine at all. Its perfect as it and is plenty powerful enough for what i need. Only think i have noticed that I'm not too keen on, is the amount of Sut in the exhaust, it looks like a diesel exhaust?! There is no smoke or anything but just an excessive amount of black sut, I've never noticed this on any petrol before. Could it be something to do with the EGR valve or something? Im guessing it is normal but any advice would be appreciated.

6 hours ago, chrismorrow said:

Well went on a nice long drive with the car yesterday. From Doncaster to Newcastle, all mainly motorway, i was so surprised at how quiet and easy it is to drive on the motorway. I managed to get up some decent speed when the traffic had cleared and what a great engine the 1.2 turbo is. 6th at 70 is around 2200-2500rpm i think, which is brilliant for economy. However if you do floor it at that point it does pull well, but if you want to speed up quicker e.g., climbing a hill then obviously you do have to change down. I honestly don't think I'm going to bother trying to tune this engine at all. Its perfect as it and is plenty powerful enough for what i need. Only think i have noticed that I'm not too keen on, is the amount of Sut in the exhaust, it looks like a diesel exhaust?! There is no smoke or anything but just an excessive amount of black sut, I've never noticed this on any petrol before. Could it be something to do with the EGR valve or something? Im guessing it is normal but any advice would be appreciated.

Just like my car, and I'm worried about it. If the exhaust looks so bad, what about pistonheads and valves after 20.000 miles? 

I've used 2 tanks of Shell Fuelsave and added additives like Bell Add, and the black stuff still comes back. 

Surley it can't be normal, I've had a look around the engine bay for anything that looks like an egr valve but can't see anything, there are loads of pipes and little boxes that I haven't a clue what they are for. Also on tickover with the bonnet open have you noticed the engine clicking? Then when you Rev it slightly the clicking goes away? I will take a video of it and post it.

Remember the 1.2 8NR engine uses Atkinson (or Miller) cycle with direct injection and a turbo! 

A lot of tech on this engine.

Here are some info regarding the 8NR engine:

http://toyota-club.net/files/faq/13-01-01_faq_nr-engine_eng.htm

I also found some videos:

Hopefully these will answer some of your questions.

Everything is perfect dont worry. Just turbo engines need more fuel not only to produce torgue but to keep temps low in the chamber. Its very common on turbo engines, and there is nothing to worry you about. You should start to worry if the exhaust was clean like an atmospheric engine.

Enjoy your new ride mate

alex

Thats Strange. I've seen some VW Golf and Polos with the TSI engine. Exhaust was nearly clean, and nothing like the Auris. 

yes, thats why VW Golf gives 2 years quaranty and toyota 6.

Furthermore, my wife had two  Golfs  from new as company cars and we faced problems with both of them.

cheers

This is what my exhaust looks like after 400 miles. It was all cleaned last time I washed the car. 

The total milage is 2500 miles. 

20160607_200137.jpg

You need to drive your car harder, it's running too cold/rich. The ideal air/fuel ratio (no stoichiometric terms) is 14.7:1, anything more than that is lean, anything less than that is rich. If you look at the graph 4737.15 @15.61 the engine RPM from about 2,000 to 3,250 that ratio is running at between 12 and 14.5. Only once you get beyond 3,750 do you start to get it a bit better.

What do you expect with a small turbo charged engine? It's never going to be happy just tooling around, you have to flay it to keep it happy. 

I've been giving mine a good blow out every couple of days, couple of good roads near where I work where I can get up some good speed and revs, the black sut isn't as bad but it's still there, maybe that's just how this engine is.

The auris engine is fantastic, but you have to get to know how to drive it. After i figured out how the atkinson cycle works, i tried to adapt my driving style according to the atkinson needs. Results can be truly impressive. I post 2 photos, one after making a trip of 360 km - approximatelly 220 miles  under 1 galon , and  the second with the consumption figures. I have seen consumptions starting from 4.1l/100 km (0,92galons per 60miles), to 8.8l/100km on average.

cheers

20150924_180654.jpg

20150924_180719.jpg

You'll have to start driving like a diesel driver! :D

BTW, the engine isn't actually an atkinson cycle engine (It would be undriveable if it was!); It switches between Otto and Atkinson/Miller cycle depending on the load on the engine; If you're flooring it it'll run like a normal turbo-charged petrol engine, if you're just cruising gently along, it'll switch to the atkinson/miller mode to trade torque for efficiency.

On the topic of sooty exhaust, I would go to a friendly MOT station and see what the HC readings are. On a new car like the Auris 1.2T they should be very good figures. My Avensis Valvematic was 0.000% CO at both fast and normal idle, whilst HC was 0.001%. I had to get the water out of the exhaust before the Lambda settled. The normal level for HC is 0.200 and 0.3 for the CO at fast, and 0.5 at normal idle.

I can imaging the 1.2T should match these readings, but the HC is the one to watch.

On 12/06/2016 at 10:22 AM, Cyker said:

You'll have to start driving like a diesel driver! :D

BTW, the engine isn't actually an atkinson cycle engine (It would be undriveable if it was!); It switches between Otto and Atkinson/Miller cycle depending on the load on the engine; If you're flooring it it'll run like a normal turbo-charged petrol engine, if you're just cruising gently along, it'll switch to the atkinson/miller mode to trade torque for efficiency.

How does it manage that?

Atkinson Has No V-Vt.png

IANATT*, but as I said years ago it would be pretty trivial to do since their petrol engines have had variable valve timings since practically forever; All they needed to do is give it the ability to adjust it the other way so the intake valves stay open for too long and BAM - psuedo-Atkinson-cycle, Toyota-style!

* I Am Not A Toyota Technician

Well, been learning how the engine likes to be driven for economy this week. Now I've done 1200miles I'm guessing the engine is worn in enough to start seeing some decent economy, went for a run from Doncaster to Sheffield, set cruise at 70mph and I was getting an average of 54mpg, very pleased with this! Overall average for £20 of fuel was 192miles I think, when I first got the car I was getting around 35 mpg, but each week it has just been climbing, guessing the engine is starting to loosen up now, I understand how the Atkinson cycle side of it works now, when you accelerate it is a normal engine, however when you get to your desired speed, or your not accelerating a lot it switches to Atkinson cycle and uses less fuel. You can actually hear the change if you open the Bonnet, Rev the engine to say 4000rpm, then hold it there, you can hear it start making a difference noise which is when it changes to Atkinson cycle. Must say I do love the car, it's quick when you need it and now I'm starting to see the economy from it. So overall very pleased. 

Presume it was 54 mpg

That's pretty cool :D

Is the change in engine sound quite noticeable? Can you record it and post it up for us curious folk? ;)

13 hours ago, chrismorrow said:

Well, been learning how the engine likes to be driven for economy this week.  Rev the engine to say 4000rpm, then hold it there, you can hear it start making a difference noise which is when it changes to Atkinson cycle. Must say I do love the car, it's quick when you need it and now I'm starting to see the economy from it. So overall very pleased. 

4,000 RPM in mine is over 80mph. Is that the speed you have to do to get the benefit of the Atki cycle?

No! I mean at a standstill if you Rev the engine and hold it, when it gets to the revs you hear the noise change, only when your at a standstill as on the road is too quiet to notice , I will post a video later, the engine seems to make a clicking noise when it's Atkinson cycle. 4000 rpm is going to use more fuel when driving, think it sits around 2500 when at 70. Sorry ive been working nights a lot recently so havent been taking time to write a response. Sorry if ive been unclear, i will record the change in sound later today.

MIRRORLINK IMPLEMENTATION

The auris touch2 system can be used, as a mirror of your phone, so as to provide extra applications like , navigation, video, and everything a mobile phone can do.

There is no need to pay for a navigation system and save a lot of money.

Here is a link of how it is working in auris 1.2 turbo, without navigation system.

DEMO,
https://youtu.be/iESptND4bRQ

IMPLEMENTATION

http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s3/help/samsung-drivelink-dev-bounty-reached-t1837847/page196

• 3 weeks later...

The link below (from half page to the bottom) presents in detail the high technology toyota used to built our engine. They have used very innovative solutions to solve many problems the vag group used to have. Enjoy.

http://toyota-club.net/files/faq/13-01-01_faq_nr-engine_eng.htm