Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris 1.2 turbo Tuning box

chrismorrow

I have been looking at tuning boxes for the 1.2 turbo auris, has anyone had any experience with one ? If so how do they work? I came across this one which seems fairly priced.

http://www.tmcmotorsport.com/TuningBoxDetailsNew.aspx?SID=10110505

you wont save 15% on fuel its not going to happen as you will be putting your foot down

more often and burning that saving, you will probably return the same mpg as before,

if you dont put your foot down you will return better mpg but then whats the point of the kit.

• Like 1

You are getting a brand new car, and the first thing on our mind is a tune box?? My experience from the diesel engines, is that more fuel is injected, wich gives more horsepower, but the polution and fuel consumption goes up, becourse the tuning software is'nt build specific or installed direct in the engines ECU. 

• Like 1

I had to respond to the original post.

Firstly your profile shows you owning a Auris Hybrid. Have you got the Auris 1.2 turbo yet?

Secondly, if you have got the car, run it as it is to gauge performance and economy.

Thirdly, you may have to inform insurance of the modification.

Finally, you may void the warranty!

When I mention the insurance, say you have an accident and you are too injured to remove or tell somebody to remove the tuning box, the cover will be void when examined, regardless who is at fault. Then if the engine has a fault or is damaged, diagnostics may tell that the tuning caused the problem, even if it is removed. Or the car goes into limp mode to protect the engine.

The engine is too new for it too be altered by tuning boxes, and as Mark says, the best tuning box is the drivers right foot!

Save your money.     

5 minutes ago, nielshm said:

You are getting a brand new car, and the first thing on our mind is a tune box?? My experience from the diesel engines, is that more fuel is injected, wich gives more horsepower, but the polution and fuel consumption goes up, becourse the tuning software is'nt build specific or installed direct in the engines ECU. 

Just beat my post in.

2 minutes ago, Konrad C said:

I had to respond to the original post.

Firstly your profile shows you owning a Auris Hybrid. Have you got the Auris 1.2 turbo yet?

Secondly, if you have got the car, run it as it is to gauge performance and economy.

Thirdly, you may have to inform insurance of the modification.

Finally, you may void the warranty!

When I mention the insurance, say you have an accident and you are too injured to remove or tell somebody to remove the tuning box, the cover will be void when examined, regardless who is at fault. Then if the engine has a fault or is damaged, diagnostics may tell that the tuning caused the problem, even if it is removed. Or the car goes into limp mode to protect the engine.

The engine is too new for it too be altered by tuning boxes, and as Mark says, the best tuning box is the drivers right foot!

Save your money.     

I could add, should have bought a sports car of another make/model. 

I pick up the car tomorrow, the only reason I was looking at tuning boxes really was to just get that little bit more out of the engine and try to get better economy on long runs, but as you say, it seems to be more harm than good by adding one into the equation. Yes I currently have the 2014 auris Hybris icon plus, tomorrow I will pick up the new face lifted auris 1.2 turbo excel model. I love the hybrid, but I just fancied something a bit more involving to drive. Thankyou for your replies 

hello my friend,

i have the 1.2 turbo active with 5000 miles now. Here are some facts you should know.

1) Actual power of the car is not 115 bhp and 18,5 nm but 128 bhp and 21,8 nm on dyno - Two cars are measured.Dyno = Dynodynamics - gives lower figures.

2) Very good balance between sport and comfort.

3) Need to be very carefull with the gas pedal ff you really want to save fuel. I have managed to see  fuel consumptions around 4.0 liters / 100 kilometers during journeys. (you have to convert it to mpg/100 km)

4) Car is really silent without noices and very well manifactured.

5) As far as tuning concerns i would recomment the following link and product http://www.44tuning.pl/chip-tuning-toyota-auris-1.2-t-d4t-116-km-turbo-euro-6

although i have no personal experience with tuning - power boxes. I strongly believe that the best option for our cars would be the bitedit software, so  a tuner can change the parameters of our car on dyno and make the best  out of it. http://bitedit.ru/en/catalog/20.

IF you decide to use the power box of tmcmotorsport, place make sure you dyno your car before and after thepowerbox so you can have a good idea for what it gives, as i already told you that our car makes around 125-130 bhp and 21,5-22.0 nm of torgue.

Good choice.

That is really impessive figures on the stock engine. Would you say that 5000 miles is what is takes, before the engine performs it best?

9 hours ago, gpa said:

hello my friend,

i have the 1.2 turbo active with 5000 miles now. Here are some facts you should know.

1) Actual power of the car is not 115 bhp and 18,5 nm but 128 bhp and 21,8 nm on dyno - Two cars are measured.Dyno = Dynodynamics - gives lower figures.

IF you decide to use the power box of tmcmotorsport, place make sure you dyno your car before and after thepowerbox so you can have a good idea for what it gives, as i already told you that our car makes around 125-130 bhp and 21,5-22.0 nm of torgue. Good choice.

Is this a test to see if anyone's awake? 21.8Nm TQ. Someone better tell Toyota their engine's massively under powered. 

12 minutes ago, TomdeGuerre said:

Is this a test to see if anyone's awake? 21.8Nm TQ. Someone better tell Toyota their engine's massively under powered. 

I was awake, but was too busy to respond Tom. 

The figures need to move up by a decimal point for the torque.

http://blog.toyota.co.uk/new-toyota-1-2t-engine

So according to Geo, the figures quoted by Toyota are the minimum/conservative!

Thankyou for your replies, I got the car today, absolutely lovely car. The engine is perfect, not sure if I need a tuning box at all seems powerful when needed. With it being a new engine I am just taking it steady for the first couple of thousand miles till it wears in properly. Also with it being a turbo engine should I idle the engine for a while after high rpm use Motorway eg... Before I turn it off. gpa it's nice to hear that the car is more powerful than what Toyota say, but I believe this is the case with a lot of Toyota's engines. I've done so far 64 miles in it today, and loved every second. So happy that I have gone for that car. So surprised at how nippy the new 1.2 engine is. I'm guessing that fuel economy will get better as at the min I'm getting about 39mpg. Obviously the engine is still tight and will take time to wear in properly. So overall I am happy with the car. So glad Toyota have finally made a new car that fits all my needs. So much better feel to it than the pre facelift auris.

you can buy a turbo timer for your car and this will let the engine run on for a minute or so

after you have locked your car this lets the turbo slow down to prevent any damage occuring

from lack of oil,dont forget never rev a turbo car straight away on startup as this can do as

much damage as turning off the engine too early.

i am not endorsing this product as i have never used one but it will give you an idea of what you may want to buy

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL-ELECTRONIC-EXHAUST-ADJUSTABLE-TURBO-TIMER-KIT-DRIFT-DRAG-RACE-KIT-CAR-/120919441045?hash=item1c275c3e95:g:snwAAOSwNSxU5HGS

Modern turbos tend to be water-cooled so shouldn't need to idle down for a couple of minutes - don't know if the 1.2T is (although I would suspect so).

& of course  it's illegal to have an engine running in an unattended car on a public road.

From the Toyota website 'The 1.2T adds to this a direct injection system and a water-cooled turbo and heat exchanger. Furthermore, the VVT-i intelligent variable valve timing system featured on the 1.0-litre is upgraded to a VVT-iW (Variable Valve Timing – intelligent Wide) system, which allows even more valve timing flexibility.''

im guessing I won't need to idle the engine then, seen as it it water cooled

You think that's all there is to it? A water cooled turbo therefore you don't need to worry - you can thrash it, pull in and switch off? When you turn off the engine the water pump stops turning and the much vaunted thermo-syphon action of the coolant is actually minimal, that's why cylinder head temperatures rise so much due to latent heat. The other aspect is lubrication of the turbo bearings by oil under pressure from the main gallery. If your turbo has been spinning around at > 100,000 rpm or whatever then you shut off the engine you lose the pressure almost immediately but the turbo doesn't stop immediately. Result is the turbo shaft is no longer supported in the fluidised bed of oil. Oil which not only lubricates the bearings but also cools the turbo. So have some mercy on that wee Garrett Airesearch or whoever's unit down there, it don't ask for much but it can cost you a whack if it goes wrong.  

Here is the "weaker" dyno and the Air-Fuel ration of the engine.

Observe how nice is the shape of the power and torgue curves. Car has more than 120bhp from 4.200 rpm and up.

Also observer how "poor" is the A/F ration. Only to make it more "rich" someone can extract at least 5-6 more ponies.

Furthermore i am trying to make full use of the mirror link feature which the unit of the car has (PANASONIC) and permits full mirroring  and control of your mobile phone to the head unit. The only problem i have is to make everything work, when the car is "on move" with the handbrake down. Apps like video , youtube etc are not working, but navigation from point A to point B using google maps is working perfectly.

Cheers

toyota auris 1200 turbo ZXP 9101.jpg

toyota auris 1200 turbo ZXP 9101FUELL.jpg

1 hour ago, TomdeGuerre said:

You think that's all there is to it? A water cooled turbo therefore you don't need to worry - you can thrash it, pull in and switch off? When you turn off the engine the water pump stops turning and the much vaunted thermo-syphon action of the coolant is actually minimal, that's why cylinder head temperatures rise so much due to latent heat. The other aspect is lubrication of the turbo bearings by oil under pressure from the main gallery. If your turbo has been spinning around at > 100,000 rpm or whatever then you shut off the engine you lose the pressure almost immediately but the turbo doesn't stop immediately. Result is the turbo shaft is no longer supported in the fluidised bed of oil. Oil which not only lubricates the bearings but also cools the turbo. So have some mercy on that wee Garrett Airesearch or whoever's unit down there, it don't ask for much but it can cost you a whack if it goes wrong.  

This engine has an independent cooling circuit for the turbo, with an electric motor. http://toyota-club.net/files/faq/13-01-01_faq_nr-engine_eng.htm  

I don't imagine cooking the turbo will be a major issue; The turbo on that thing is probably smaller than mine! Should cool down pretty quick when off-power.

The biggest danger for turbo engines are Motorway Service Stations - You are doing high speeds, then pulling into them with the engine and turbo still hot, but it's easy to take it nice and slow finding a parking space and giving it a few minutes at idle speeds to cool down, maybe leaving it to idle for a minute or so once you've found a parking space to cool down proper if you're worried, before shutting down the engine.

For most other cases, you will be entering a city or town with 30mph limits which will give the turbo loads of time to cool down before you get to your destination (Well, unless you're ragging it off the line at every light :laugh: )

Seems like a nice engine; Is this the dual atkins/otto-cycle engine they were talking about? I was wondering how they'd make it as powerful as they claimed they would... I don't remember them mentioning a turbo-charger!!! :laugh:

I was thinking the torque graph was pretty impressive too, very similar to my D4D!! Then I noticed it starts at 2000rpm... :tongue:

Very nice-looking engine tho' - Nice flat torque curve, should be quite pleasant to drive!

It's great that they have given the Auris a decent engine to replace that horribly under-powered 1.33... and a bit funny that a 1.2 is even beating the old 1.6 in almost all areas!

21 minutes ago, Cyker said:

It's great that they have given the Auris a decent engine to replace that horribly under-powered 1.33... and a bit funny that a 1.2 is even beating the old 1.6 in almost all areas!

In fact the 1.33 is competitive with entry level normally aspirated engines from other manufacturers in the C market sector -

Toyota Auris 1.33 - 100bhp, torque 99 lb ft

Vauxhall Astra 1.4 - 100bhp, 96 lb ft

Hyundai i30 1.4 - 100bhp, 99 lb ft

The Toyota 1.2T actually replaced the 1.6 not the 1.33 - the 1.33 continues .....

No no, I wasn't saying the 1.33 was underpowered in its own right, I was saying it was underpowered FOR THE AURIS.

It's like the old Corolla diesel - You could get it with a 1.4 diesel or a 2.0 diesel; The 1.4 could push the car along okay but you felt like it was just... lacking something, when pushed. By comparison the 2.0 was soooooo much nicer to drive! It had that bit extra to put a contented smile on your face :)

It's like the 1.0 vs the 1.3(3) in the Yaris - The 1.0 is... okay, it'll do the job around town etc... but as soon as you take it on a fast road it feels really lacking compared to the 1.3(3). The 1.33 is the biggest (petrol) engine they use in the Yaris and it works in that because it is a small light car - The Auris is bigger and heavier and that engine has never had the grunt to make it pleasant to drive anything other than sedately.

This new 1.2T sounds magic - Purely on what I've read alone, I think they should scrap the 1.33 altogether as it offers NO benefit over the 1.2T, at least on paper; It's sluggish and has worse acceleration, top speed and fuel consumption. It was never a good engine match for the Auris and now it's been out-classed by the 1,2T in all areas apart from possibly reliability...

The 1.33 isn't supposed to offer any benefit over the 1.2T. In the Auris it provides Toyota with an entry point into that range that offers reasonable perfoirmance compared to entry level models from other manufacturers. 

The 1.2T was never intended to replace the 1.33 - instead replacing the 1.6 Valvematic. With the current Auris having its mid-life facelift in 2015, presumably the replacement due in 2018(?) may have something like a 1.0 litre turbo as an entry point, with the 1.2T continuing as the larger petrol engine choice.

Feasible when one considers that other manufacturers have recently bought out 1.0 litre turbo engines to replace 1.4 and 1.6 normally aspirated engines (eg Ford Ecoboost. Hyundai 1.0T, etc).

what has water cooling got to do with the speed of the turbo when idling ???

i see the general concensis is to switch off the ignition as soon as you stop

so when the turbo is spinning at 100,000 plus revs per minute can anyone explain

how the turbine shaft is lubricated to prevent damage ,as this is why you have a

high pressure oil supply to this unit.

Water cooling has nothing to do with the speed of the turbo when idling.  However, the main problem over the years (I started driving turbos ~1981) was oil baking on hot turbos & water cooling the turbo body obviously affects that.

Also, the turbo isn't going to be doing 100,000rpm if the engine is idling as turbo rpm is linked to airflow/boost which is linked to engine rpm.

As Cyker says for most people who don't come straight off a motorway/nsl* road, park & immediately switch off their engine toodling along at 30 or so as they arrive at their destination will have given the engine/turbo a chance to cool.

*my mother lives about 500 yards off an nsl dual carriageway junction & I do let the car idle for 2 minutes before switching off when visiting her as indeed I do for service stations & the like on motorways/nsl roads. Habits die hard.

14 hours ago, gpa said:

Here is the "weaker" dyno and the Air-Fuel ration of the engine.

Observe how nice is the shape of the power and torgue curves. Car has more than 120bhp from 4.200 rpm and up.

Also observer how "poor" is the A/F ration. Only to make it more "rich" someone can extract at least 5-6 more ponies.

Furthermore i am trying to make full use of the mirror link feature which the unit of the car has (PANASONIC) and permits full mirroring  and control of your mobile phone to the head unit. The only problem i have is to make everything work, when the car is "on move" with the handbrake down. Apps like video , youtube etc are not working, but navigation from point A to point B using google maps is working perfectly.

Cheers

toyota auris 1200 turbo ZXP 9101.jpg

toyota auris 1200 turbo ZXP 9101FUELL.jpg

There's a thing I find Strange. Toyota claims the max. torque (185 NM) is present from 1500 rpm to 4000 rpm. Your curves shows a very low torque 80 NM at 2000 rpm. Can you explain what happens? 

You are looking at the wrong angle. First diagram, right angle ,160nm of torgue mate, Left angle is power figure.

cheers