Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Buying an Auris SR180 - Things to look for?

Jack Taylor

Hi everyone.

I am looking at getting a Toyota Auris 2.2 SR180 as my next car. I am looking into issues that they commonly have and I have seen that EGR, DPF, and Oil Consumption all seem to be on the list of issues with the car.

Now EGR and DPF problems can be sorted really easily by just not having them ;) or by blanking the egr and getting it mapped out.

As for the oil consumption what causes that? Does anyone know on here?

I am just wondering as I really like the look of the cars and if things will be easy enough to sort my self I will still happily get one. Are the egr's easy to get to on these or are they a total pain?

Thanks in advance for anyone with any advice :D

jack

The biggest potential issue with AD engines (even though it affects only a small %) is head/headgasket problems (which come from carbon buildup). Toyota say that you should not skim these blocks/heads & their officially sanctioned fix (they had/have a foc 7 year from registration/112k miles goodwill policy for the issue) is essentially a replacement engine minus ancillaries - if you were paying that would cost you more than the car will now be worth. On an Auris that goodwill extension covers cars built up until September 2009, cars made after that are meant to be OK.

The real problem with that is that only a very small % develop it & you can't predict which ones .... If you do buy one I would strongly recommend getting it from a trader/dealer rather than a private sale as that way you will have much stronger rights of comeback/rejection.

As above really about the head gasket but most should have been sorted by now.

You can blank the egr but the blank needs a 5mm hole in it due to having an airflow sensor in the egr.

The DPF just needs looking after repeated motorway runs will help it keep clear. 

The oil consumption was fine in mine hardly used any between services.

It's only a tiny percentage of cars affected I think ... but you only ever hear horror stories never my car works perfect. Mine works perfect.

As for mapping I have both mine mapped and quite a few of my friends with these have theirs mapped as well.

Brilliant cheers guys :)

I was thinking that most should have been done now if they were that common. There should be some sort of paperwork or document that came with it when the job was done by toyota? I suppose also don't get one thats just had the headgasket done and not the engine replacement as that would still be prone to going again?

EGR I suppose you could fully blank if you specifically asked your mapper to totally disable the egr valve anyway? I know that works in other cars, just wondering if its the same on these.

Where did you get yours mapped and did it make much difference to bhp and mpg?

Thanks guys :D

It should have paperwork to prove its been done. If there is no paperwork to back it up you can ask at Toyota as they should have a record of it on their system.

Normally they do the 3/4 engine replacement on it if it arises.

Egr can't be mapped out yet as its only just been doable to map properly.

I had mine mapped by myself.

Performance wise it went to 215 bhp and to 470nm of torque.

The MPG is still on the rise from my previous average, but I've not done any motorway miles yet to see how big of a gain it is ...

Warranty repairs don't necessarily provide the owner with documentary proof, as it is the manufacturer meeting the costs, so paperwork is their audit trail. However, if the car has had an engine replacement under the goodwill arrangement, then a Toyota dealer should be able to confirm or deny. 

There are still odd cases of head gasket failure occuring on the AD series - the last one appearing on this forum in March 2016, where the Rav4 was under the mileage limit (111,846 miles) but over the age limit (7 years) of the goodwill arrangement. As the vehicle was over the age limit, Toyota made an offer of a head gasket set and oil, with the dealer contributing towards half the labour costs, but subject to the condition that if further work was identified on stripping the engine, that would be at the customer's cost.

Ahh brilliant. So shouldn't be too hard to find out if it has been done then. I suppose I could contact any Toyota Dealership and ask and they should have history of other dealerships that have done it.

Thing is I am looking for a car that's properly mapable really and something I can mess with. No one seems to want to touch Toyota's as they are Japanese and they use strange ECU's apparently :/

Toyota, like most manufacturers, have a centralised database which provides information on services, warranty work, etc undertaken within their dealer network. So, given a reg no or VIN, any Toyota dealer should be able to provide info on a particular vehicle.

On 31/05/2016 at 10:28 AM, Jack Taylor said:

Ahh brilliant. So shouldn't be too hard to find out if it has been done then. I suppose I could contact any Toyota Dealership and ask and they should have history of other dealerships that have done it.

Thing is I am looking for a car that's properly mapable really and something I can mess with. No one seems to want to touch Toyota's as they are Japanese and they use strange ECU's apparently :/

As above for finding out about the engine. I asked at Toyota about mine it took them moments to search and make a phone call to find out. 

The 2.2 is certainly Mappable on the factory ecu. many Japanese cars are mostly diesels and the hot models of vehicles.