Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

To Parrot, or not to Parrot...?

polaroidfades

I have recently bought a 2009 Auris with the standard CD/Radio head unit in. I am after bluetooth functionality so I can stream music through my car Speakers and be able to make calls. I appear to have the option of a Parrot (or its ilk) or replace the head unit altogether with something Toyota-made, maybe with inclusive sat-nav.

I'm leaning more towards replacing the head unit. Having inclusive sat-nav would be useful to me (I use it constantly for work, and find attaching and detaching my TomTom constantly throughout the day a bit of a bind) but I've read that Toyota sat-nav is not much cop. A replaced head-unit also looks less cluttered. I hate having wires and such trailing all over my dashboard.
Having a new head unit would also mean that I would not lose the [new, for me] steering wheel buttons functionality.

Having a Parrot system, however could be a cheaper system, unless I wanted to retain the steering wheel buttons function, which I do - which doubles the cost and I'm not convinced that the Parrot Unika is that good for a 2009 Auris. Parrot does not have sat-nav and for potentially a similar cost, I could get Toyota Touch (and Go?).

So which to do, which to do?

when we had a 14 plate aygo a couple of years ago it had a tomtom sat nav
 from the factory,this also had bluetooth so kath could make & receive calls
 via the tomtom and it worked well.

There are so many add on options available. This integration depends on whether there is a CD changer port in rear of your stereo, which is most likely to have. If so then you can choose the route I went, which gives everything - bluetooth streaming, (micro) SD and USB. This also uses the steering audio controls to change tracks, answer calls, etc. See the following link. It applies to most recent Toyota's. 

When using the bluetooth, make sure the mobile volume is set high without distortion, so you can hear the incoming calls. You need to test to set up.

Here is the place I bought my Bluetooth/USB/SD adapter from: 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Bluetooth-handsfree-A2DP-CD-changer-adapter-Toyota-Corolla-Yaris-2006-2011/111575424767?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131017132637%26meid%3D9f466bcbcb984e41838f9e256381054e%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D8%26sd%3D111575424767

As I stated in that post there are other options and the price varies. 

I have a Novero Trusty One, which is very similar to Parrot CK3000 and a little louder when playing music. Just like the Parrot you have a controller. You have to buy a SOT-062 cable to connect the Parrot system to the audio system. Once plugged in, it works well. The hard bit is where to place the controller. 

One set I like which is similar to Parrot and very loud is iO Play 2, but seems expensive now, and hard to get. iO Talk 2 is just as loud (180w) and does most of the things iO Play 2 does. see http://www.my-io.com/products/io-talk2-features/

Then is the Dension Gateway system.  http://www.dension.com/products/car-multimedia-solutions/gateway-lite-bt Check eBay for prices. 

Grom is another http://gromaudio.co.uk/

The other options is to change the audio unit all together. You may have to factor in adapters for the steering controls and facia.

Lots of choices

• 1 month later...

Another option is to try to get an NOS (New Old Stock) iO Play 2 from a Halfords outlet.  I managed to get one locally here in NI but I know that there are some of them available in the UK.  The Salisbury and Gravesend stores have (or had) them, but they would not do a transfer to a local store here.  Ultimately though I managed to track one down here; and I believe transfers between stores on the same land mass can be facilitated.

Asking price was only £65, which for bluetooth phone, music streaming, iPod connection, and AUX In is pretty good value for money.  You'll also need the appropriate SOT lead.  Having never installed one of these before, I was able to complete the job in a couple of hours, so not that difficult overall.  You will need a dash trim removal kit that can be had off eBay for a few pounds too.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links