Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis Stone guard near petrol tank corroded.

Smoking gun

My son has recently bought a 2003 (Mark 2) Avensis hatch back.

jimscar.jpg

I noticed the stone guard on the drivers side just forward of the rear wheel is badly corroded. The stone guard appears to protect the fuel tank.

I have got another stone guard from the scrap yard, but this one is in poor condition and will need reinforcing around the bolt holes where the metal has torn, it also needs a couple of layers of paint to prevent further corrosion. Given the stone guards proximity to the exhaust will it need painting with heat resistant paint? 

Is this stone guard required for the MOT? As it is a lot of work for something that might not be required.

Thank you and regards,

Martin

My car of same vintage has had a part of heatshield in same area drop down a few weeks ago. I used a repair washer as a temporary fix. Tbh forgot all about it till now

It appears to be a common problem. - Special paint isn't necessary - Smoothrite will protect it nicely. It's tricky to swap over and be prepared to 'flex' the shield a bit to get it behind the exhaust pipe. I can't imagine that it's absolutely necessary in our climate but I would definitely make sure you have one. If not it will be spotted when you trade the car in.  

Thank you for the help. I'll clean up the replacement and give it a couple of coats of paint to protect it. I had quite a bit of trouble getting the replacement off the car at the scrappers, I hab to chisel off two of the fixing brackets as the bolts were so badly corroded they wouldn't turn.

I doubt this car will be traded in as I have told my son to give me first refusal when he wants to change it. It will replace my 98 Carina E.

Regards,

Martin

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links