Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

over fill of oil

spen2811

Hi all had my car serviced by inchape toyota nottingham, a month or so ago may be 2,checked the oil on the 18 of this month only to find it well above the MAX LEVEL.

Got local toyota dealership to check it said was over .3 of a LITRE TOO much in.

Any body know of any possible damage caused to engine /oil seals etc,as says in the manual not to overfill.

Had done about 2000 miles since service.

Not the kind of service  u would expect  from a main dealer.

Got the local dealer to remove excess oil and charge inchape nottingham.

Thanks

03 litres is not much..

If it was really too full, you would see and smell oil burning .

Or like the old BMC who fitted the wrong level dipstick to 1.8 engines in the late 1960s/early 1970s, engine failure due to crankshafts hitting the oil in the sump.  ( Drivers who never checked the oil level and never topped it up were OK).

Or the old 'B' series engine owners who found they should have fitted a 'standing' filter (fitted with a non-return valve) to their engines after BMC turned the filter upside down without informing aftermarket suppliers.

I had one of those engines, but fortunately realised the long time to achieve oil pressure at a cold start indicated a problem.

The filter housing had been inverted, meaning the filter was screwed in from above and a filter without the non-return valve would drain within a few minutes. Another 'advantage' of this system meant you dumped a filter full of oil on the floor every time you undid the damn thing.

If I recall correctly, it cost a good few quid to many aftermarket filter suppliers who hadn't updated their application lists, due to wrecked engines.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links