Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gen7 HID alignment advice

JayG

Hi Folks.

I recently picked up a set of 35w 6000k H7 HID's to for my Gen7 Celica but have a few questions which I'm hoping other members here have come across and can offer some advice.

The stock halogen headlights were terrible, barely illuminating the road in front of me but since upgrading to the HID's I'm actually thinking it's made it worse. I still cant see anything at night. It's like the headlights are facing at the floor! Sitting inside the car, I can just about see the light beam on the road but this can't be right. I'm thinking that I should have gone for 55w instead of 35w but even still I'm convinced that the alignment seems to be way off. They need to be pointing upwards way more than they are.

Q1: Is there a way to adjust the dipped beam headlights vertical alignment other than the control thingy by the drivers right knee? I've already cranked that to point them as high as they'll go but they are still pointing downwards way too much.

Q2: I see HID bulbs have a stick / wire thing that runs parallel with the length of the glass filament. Does that need to be rotated a certain way when placed into the headlight housing? EG: stick thingy at 12 O' clock. glass filament directly underneath. Stick thingy at 6 O clock, glass fillament on top etc.

Q3: I've seen HID bulb adapters advertised for Celica. I bought a set but there is no way they work / fit my HID bulbs. My HID bulbs were sold as Celica compatible and the metal base of the HID bulb fits perfectly into the headlight housing with the bulb clip securing it just fine. However compared to stock halogens and the OEM bulb holder, I'm convinced that my HID bulbs without any sort of bulb holder are sitting further back in the housing than the halogens were.

Any info / advice greatly appreciated.

I sussed how to adjust the vertical alignment of the dipped beam bulbs so now I'm actually able to illuminate the road instead of my front number plate.

It's just a little metal cog located right near the top of the headlight just like the one in the attached picture.

It's worth noting that this cog adjusts both the dipped and high beam bulbs at the same time. After my initial adjustment of the dipped beams I then found my high beams were now aimed so high I could signal batman in low clouds.

Just to help save a little more time:

To raise the light upwards, on the passengers side you want to rotate the cog towards the engine. ( Anticlockwise if you face the car head on)
To raise the light upwards on the drivers side you want to rotate the cog away from the engine. ( Anticlockwise if you face the car head on)

Home this helps some folks!

Headlight_Adjust2.jpg

Additionally just to provide an update to my original questions in my original post.

Q1: Is there a way to adjust the dipped beam headlights vertical alignment other than the control thingy by the drivers right knee? I've already cranked that to point them as high as they'll go but they are still pointing downwards way too much.

- A: Yep, vertical alignment is easily adjusted via the cog thingy shown in the picture in the post above.

Q2: I see HID bulbs have a stick / wire thing that runs parallel with the length of the glass filament. Does that need to be rotated a certain way when placed into the headlight housing? EG: stick thingy at 12 O' clock. glass filament directly underneath. Stick thingy at 6 O clock, glass filament on top etc.

- A: Bulb orientation didn't make a blind bit of difference for me.

Q3: I've seen HID bulb adapters advertised for Celica. I bought a set but there is no way they work / fit my HID bulbs. My HID bulbs were sold as Celica compatible and the metal base of the HID bulb fits perfectly into the headlight housing with the bulb clip securing it just fine. However compared to stock halogens and the OEM bulb holder, I'm convinced that my HID bulbs without any sort of bulb holder are sitting further back in the housing than the halogens were

- A: Didn't need any bulb adapters at all but this may have just been down to the particular HID bulbs I had which were sold as compatible bulbs for the Celica.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links