Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gen7 Respray Advice

JayG

I've recently visited a body shop which was referred to me by my regular mechanic with the aim of getting the drivers side resprayed due to a heap of bad scratches. During their inspection, their exact wording was that my celica's current paint was a "disaster" and that they recommend I respray the entire car minus the roof.

In fairness, the car has numerous age related scratches and scuffs on almost every panel with the front and rear bumpers and the drivers side being the worst. It's like someone washed it with a cheese grater. I have to be honest, the appeal of having the entire car looking showroom fresh again is very enticing. Unfortunately the body work issues were all inherited from the previous owner but now I've owned and loved the car for a while, it's really begun to bug me as mechanically it's in top form but cosmetically it's a real let down.

I've been quoted 1200 for all repairs, prep and respray (Minus inside of doors / boot / engine bay etc if I stay with the existing colour.
Does this sound reasonable?

£1200 sounds very reasonable, but it's also around the value of the car itself..so it's your call, Jay :smile:

Hey Scarlett.

Thanks for your reply.

Based on your comment, I just had a quick skim over auto trader and piston heads. Looks like I'd be better off snapping up a tidier example.
 I just pulled my head out of the sand and thought about everything my car needs.

• My air con has stopped working and I fear it's the compressor that's gone. (£500 upwards I reckon by the time the labor is piled on.)
  • Wheels could do with refurbishment + due new tires soon-ish. (Tyres £300-ish + 250 ish for wheel refurb - £550)
  • The bad body work / respray - £1200

That's a ballpark of £2250 to sort mine out completely and there is no way I'd ever see that money back from it. There are some really tidy celicas going for less. So it really does look like I should buy another and keep the change. I love the Celica so I planned to keep it for a long time, hence why I got motivated to do it up. But those efforts would be best put towards a better example in the first place.

Now I get to go car shopping! That's more exciting than a paint job any day! :biggrin:

Thanks Scarlet. For the reality check!

Have a look for the "Premium Red", and "Premium Blue" special editions. If I was in the market for a Gen 7 atm, they would be at the top of my list :smile:

hmm.. I've seen a few of those listed for sale.

Aside from the colour of the interior, is there anything else different about them other than the interior that I'm not noticing?

Edit* - Looks like they have different alloys too 17 inch.

Compared to a 140 without either of the two packs:

17" Fondmetal 6200 alloys

Unique Leather (Terracotta or Blue/Black)

T Sport type Spoiler

Sunroof

Climate Control

Alloy Pedals (P. Red)

Subwoofer (P. Red)

Multi CD Changer (P. Blue)

Because of these extras, both special editions would be slightly more expensive to insure.

HTH.

Hey Scarlet... 

Thanks for all the info! Couple more quick q's for you if I may...

Should a Celica red or blue have all or just some of the listed extras you mentioned? As I've seen a few Celica reds for sale that don't have the digital climate control?

Additionally, I went ahead and got some fresh insurance quotes for a 140 red, a 190 T-sport and a GT just so I know what I'm up against come insurance time. For reasons unknown both the 190 and the GT are basically the same insurance price of £510 fully comp for me. Where as the best quote I got for a 140 is £570 fully comp!? The cost is fine but I don't get their pricing logic at all.

I'm not too fussed what model I get as long as it's packing the most equipment in the best condition with the lowest millage within a reasonable proximity to me.
I've allocated a budget of up to £3.5K for the perfect car but there is a lot of cars to consider between the 2 and 3k mark. Decisions decisions! :biggrin:

The "Red" & "Blue", don't have either the Climate or Sunroof. Only the "Premium Red" & "Premium Blue" have these two extras.

Insurance quotes very often make no sense, so those figures are no great surprise.

£3.5k would buy a mint 140 or T Sport north of the home counties, but the GT still attracts a premium. Don't ask me why, as the lairy skirts and rear wing are very..well..marmite. Much depends on how much you want a Sunroof, as they were an optional extra on the T Sport, with only a small percentage having one fitted.

Good luck in your search :smile:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links