Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Retrofitting Cruise control to 2003 Avensis 1.8 VVT-i T3-X

magn8p

Hi all,

I have been a Fabia owner so far, but now planning to purchase a bigger car - Avensis (2003 Toyota Avensis 1.8 VVT-i T3-X).

I have retrofitted cruise control to my 2002 Fabia and I was wondering if it is possible to do the same with Toyota - if yes, please can you suggest I go ahead about it?

-Mags

I don't think it's possible on the 1.8vvti.I believe it has a cabled throttle body.the 03 t2 1.8vvti had a cabled throttle body. 

Also keep an eye on the oil as these engines had an oil burning issue  .

Welcome to the site.

• Like 1

There is a retrofit guide someone has done if you search. But may find as above only for certain models after a certain date?

I have defo seen it and thought myself what a mission for something id hardly use. As mostly town driving for me.  Ive had it on other cars and i found it pretty redundant for my use

7 hours ago, frankie406 said:

I don't think it's possible on the 1.8vvti.I believe it has a cabled throttle body.the 03 t2 1.8vvti had a cabled throttle body. 

Also keep an eye on the oil as these engines had an oil burning issue  .

Welcome to the site.

Thanks for that. Apart from burning oil, is there anything I should be aware of? My Fabia does that too and I am kind of used to it :)
I am buying it from a colleague and he said that he has never had any issue with this car which only did 75,000 miles.

The oil issue didn't really bother me either. The oil top ups kept the oil/engine nice and clean.apart from that I don't think I had any problems with it. Was sorry to see it go I foolishly bought a 1.6crdi 2010 hyundai i30 which lasted 5-6 months of which I was busting to get back to Toyota. 

3 hours ago, frankie406 said:

The oil issue didn't really bother me either. The oil top ups kept the oil/engine nice and clean.apart from that I don't think I had any problems with it. Was sorry to see it go I foolishly bought a 1.6crdi 2010 hyundai i30 which lasted 5-6 months of which I was busting to get back to Toyota. 

Frank, your advice on the 1.8 vvti engine and cruise control can only be fitted 2/2.4 litre engines. Add possible issues with the headlights.  

Off topic, how bad was your Hyundai? I know that the later model looks far better. 

Yeah lights were a bit dull but not much of a problem. The i30 just didn't feel right and always smoked on start up it only had 12kmiles on it.mpg was poor and needed a new/upgraded clutch.the hyundai dealership weren't very good at helping.I'd to go to a different hyundai dealer would couldn't of been more helpful. .so after that it was Toyota time!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Konrad C said:

Frank, your advice on the 1.8 vvti engine and cruise control can only be fitted 2/2.4 litre engines. Add possible issues with the headlights.  

Off topic, how bad was your Hyundai? I know that the later model looks far better. 

Konrad - Thanks. As Frank mentioned, is it only the dull/dim lights or do they fuse quite often? Also, I test drove the car yesterday, and I felt that the gear shifter is much softer compared to Fabia which shifts smoothly from gear to gear - are all Avensis gear shifters or is this due to age?

Also Frank/Konrad - What do you think is a fair price for 2003 1.8 VVT-i T3-X Avensis, which did 77K miles which is in a good condition?

Some were saying about the bulb holders melting but again I've never had that problem in both my avensis.friends and family are the same no problem's. 

I reckon the best way is to look around websites and compare prices. What's the price of the car your looking.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, frankie406 said:

Some were saying about the bulb holders melting butagain I've never had that problem in both my avensis.friends and family are the same no problem's. 

I reckon the best way is to look around websites and compare prices. What's the price of the car your looking.

Thanks Frank. I have checked several websites, including Autotrader which valued it at £1150. The asking price is £1200 and I was thinking of negotiating it down to £1000 - do you think that's a good price to pay for a car with full service history with Toyota garage.

3 hours ago, magn8p said:

Konrad - Thanks. As Frank mentioned, is it only the dull/dim lights or do they fuse quite often? Also, I test drove the car yesterday, and I felt that the gear shifter is much softer compared to Fabia which shifts smoothly from gear to gear - are all Avensis gear shifters or is this due to age?

Also Frank/Konrad - What do you think is a fair price for 2003 1.8 VVT-i T3-X Avensis, which did 77K miles which is in a good condition?

The gearshift can be affected by age. Second gear can be difficult to select, especially when cold. A gearbox fluid change may help.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Konrad C said:

The gearshift can be affected by age. Second gear can be difficult to select, especially when cold. A gearbox fluid change may help.

Thanks for that. Is that a relatively easy DIY?

22 minutes ago, magn8p said:

Thanks for that. Is that a relatively easy DIY?

I say yes for me. You need a fairly large socket, cannot remember the size. There is a drain point near the drive shaft, and a filling point on the front facing side of the gearbox. The handbook should confirm the capacity and type of transmission fluid. I have raised drive, so can get under the car without having to use ramps o jacks. Great for oil changes. The car is level when it comes to filling. 

You may have to remove some under car trays to get access. 

• Like 1

Sounds OK for it.I'm in northern Ireland prices are a little bit higher.I think i paid £1500 with more miles on it and just the first 3 years Toyota services. But it's your money.good luck with whatever you buy.👍

16 hours ago, frankie406 said:

Sounds OK for it.I'm in northern Ireland prices are a little bit higher.I think i paid £1500 with more miles on it and just the first 3 years Toyota services. But it's your money.good luck with whatever you buy.👍

Thanks Frank. I have decided to go ahead with the purchase. It's a luxury compared to my Fabia but at £1000, I think I can afford it :-)
And if I like this one, I might as well stick to Toyotas henceforth.

I hope you are not disappointed with it.I've had 4 Toyota's and every one of those were a great car.tried a different car and didn't like it went straight back to Toyota. I'd suggest that you do a service on it (if dealer hasn't done it).if you can use Toyota parts and use millers ecomax petrol additive makes it run smooth .well mine did anyway.

Good luck with it and happy motoring. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links