Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav4 Hybrid just arrived - in time for road trip!

786s13

There is a lot of work going on into producing Hydrogen e.g. Glasgow University announce d a year or so ago that they had found a method that was 30x better than previous.

Similarly there is a lot of work going on into batteries as there probably isn't enough lithium for everybody to go EV/PHEV.

As we say up here , it will all come out in the wash ... wink.png

Might not be like highlander, there can be more than one ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Ofgem who have commissioned industry reports in the past four years into the future requirements the National Grid faces, don't agree. Their reports indicate that the network will require substantial upgrading, and that schemes such as smart charging and off peak charging will need to be introduced.

We are getting way OT but do you have a link with the details? The only thing I can find is about National Grid's "Gone Green" scenario. From reading some fairly technical documents, so please forgive me if I have misunderstood, but I think Ofgem are saying it's unwise for the National Grid to assume that "Gone Green" will come to pass. That seems reasonable to me given the seriousness of the situation if the national grid was to go down.

Interesting debate!,  I have my hybrid because I have owned diesels since 2004,  remember then?  when the diesel was percieved to be the best way forward environmentally? I think with all the issues of emission fixing, diesel cars will get clobbered on way or another, so I opted for the Hybrid which is currently giving me 46mpg. I don't think any car is good for the earth, they are a neccessary evil that we need at the moment. As for any plug in power, it has to be generated, renewables are not enough so its gas or nuclear power which is hardly great either.  Oh and as for the Outlander PHEV,  remember, turn the WiFi off, or else it may get nicked!!.

14 hours ago, D Arrowsmith said:

so I opted for the Hybrid which is currently giving me 46mpg.

But do you think 46mpg is good enough for 2016, my old 2.2 2007 does well above that.. My point is you can charge a PHEV for about a third of the cost of charging the batteries using petrol or diesel, it does not matter when you charge it that's the tech we have to live with, said this many times, firms introduced very lean Diesels only to get told to reduce the NOX by making them un-lean. The wife's wi-fi  was never switched on, but it still returns 100mpg no road tax...that's why it's worth stealing.... One day all Hybrids will be made this way....

12 hours ago, the fox said:

But do you think 46mpg is good enough for 2016, my old 2.2 2007 does well above that.. 

It may depend upon your usage but if you are averaging well above 46mpg  I'm guessing it's a non-DPF (i.e. non- D-CAT) model & you aren't doing too much urban? The current 2.0 diesel (later gen. BMW-derived diesel but DPF-equipped etc.) only averages 48mpg overall according to HonestJohn's RealMPG. & as we know modern common rail, DPF-equipped diesels have issues which are not good for environment/health & potentially expensive to repair.

The Hybrid & diesel actually suit 2 different user profiles - hybrid for people doing short or urban usage (where the EV/PHEV's shine if you have access to charging) & diesel for people doing longer/higher speed travel.

Put simply - different people, with different needs, priorities & situations are going to have different "best" solutions.

8 hours ago, the fox said:

But do you think 46mpg is good enough for 2016, my old 2.2 2007 does well above that.. My point is you can charge a PHEV for about a third of the cost of charging the batteries using petrol or diesel, it does not matter when you charge it that's the tech we have to live with, said this many times, firms introduced very lean Diesels only to get told to reduce the NOX by making them un-lean. The wife's wi-fi  was never switched on, but it still returns 100mpg no road tax...that's why it's worth stealing.... One day all Hybrids will be made this way....

Yes I do (46mpg), as stated before, I am happy with it, I owned the same car as you on a 07 plate and never got above 46mpg, another 60 plate same car and the recent 2013 new model which gave me, at best 38mpg. Its obviously the way I drive,  but the Hyrbrid I drive the same way and already with only 250 miles on the clock I get 46mpg. Its quiet and easy to drive and its a mix of urban/country roads, and as I sit in queues of traffic I am not throwing out lots of extra fumes out the back of it. I liked the idea of the Outlander PHEV and test drove it. But I did not like the car or finish/quality (only my opinion), for something that was around £10k more than my current RAV, again my choice and opinion, if it suits others good for them, but it was not for me. Living in a street I could not charge it overnight either, no charging point where I work either so I would not benefit from that option. In the Mail today there is an article on how Diesel drivers are facing green taxes due to emission targets. Now I am not saying its right, but I can see it coming and that partly influenced my decision when I came to change. As stated before,  I love the car, and if all hybrids go the PHEV way so be it, then hopefully they will come down in cost, and no doubt the free charging points will go to,  but I am enjoying this one at the moment, its a lovely car.

9 hours ago, the fox said:

But do you think 46mpg is good enough for 2016, my old 2.2 2007 does well above that.. 

One owner's driving environment may be quite different to another's, so it doesn't make sense to expect another owner to achieve the same as you. 46mpg may well be good for that environment

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quickie in case any Rav4 owner fancy's a change, my cousin just bought a brand new Mitsubishi PHEV he used a site called "cars now" or "now cars" it put him in touch with Mitsubishi dealers and he was quoted just over £29,000 he managed to squeeze them to less than £29,000 with all the trimmings like mats full tank etc...  retail was over £36,000

5 hours ago, the fox said:

Just a quickie in case any Rav4 owner fancy's a change, my cousin just bought a brand new Mitsubishi PHEV he used a site called "cars now" or "now cars" it put him in touch with Mitsubishi dealers and he was quoted just over £29,000 he managed to squeeze them to less than £29,000 with all the trimmings like mats full tank etc...  retail was over £36,000

I think your cousin used CarWow,  i used them to buy my current RAV Hybrid and paid £27,495 all in for it when it retailed around £32k with all the extras I had.  Cheapest quote I had was £27,295 and my Toyota Dealer met me most of the way, she did day that was down to the business I have done with them over the years, but I doubt I would of got that without using CarWow.

Yep you are correct. I had got his story second hand, I have just got a quote for a Kuga 4x4 version just under £22,000 from the web site, my RAV4 may go this weekend....

• 5 weeks later...
On ‎07‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 4:36 PM, WarrenB said:

Bought the Hybrid because didn't want a diesel, want to tow a caravan and for petrol and green I think hybrid is the best at the moment.

Hi

How do you find it tows? We have a 2010 awd xtr 2.2d and are looking to change but worried about low noseweight on hybrid. Concerned about loading caravan to get the noseweight down.

Thanks

Peter

I don't know yet, because if you read the other Hybrid thread, I still haven't got it.

Will let people know as soon a s I have.

I can tell you the noseweight max load is 70kg.

Thanks for that Warren.

Now read other post and seen your post there. Sorry for inconvenience.

Yes low noseweight. Got 80kg atm. Might struggle to get down to 70kg. Rest end could be too heavy.

What you tow? We've got a Lunar Ultima 470. Mtplm of 1350 (upgraded from 1255). Usually noseweight of 75-80kg.

Thanks

Peter

I tow a lunar Venus 500/4, which has also had a weight upgrade to mtplm of 1300kg. Noseweight is normally between 70 and 75 so should not be a problem, but has been on the car I have at the moment which is a Kia Sportage which has a noseweight max of 85 and sometimes the Venus has felt a bit light on the ball making the towing a bit floaty. To be honest to get from 80 to 70 will probably just be a case of moving the awning back to just behind rather than just in front of the axle.

Hi

Yes shouldn't be too much of a problem to lose those 10kg.

Will have to arrange a test drive.

Peter

Hi

Had a test drive today in a rav4 excel hybrid. Very impressed. Didn't hear any whine from the transmission as stated in another post. Very smooth and impressed with economy. Trouble is not available until October/November and local dealer not interested in any discount though others miles away are through carwow. Excuse is can sell as many as we get. Have to get my negotiating skills honed ☺and see what can be sorted and if they want a sale.

Peter

If you're a cash buyer then try these guys. Very good service and mega cheap...

Top spec RAV with TSS, Nav,Met paint and sunroof... £27500... 

Can't go wrong. 

Screenshot_2016-07-30-21-32-02.png

• Like 1

Wow Jav that is a saving!

Much less than carwow - best so far for same spec (less sunroof)  is £29,923. Local dealer (used for last 6 years) only £31,692 (again no sunroof and that through carwow - no movement at all in showroom).

Thanks

Peter

Just an update.

Need to part exchange so newcardealer no good unfortunately.

Tried to contact other dealers through car wow. No joy at all. Phone rang but never answered. When one call was answered was told got the wrong number.

So.... Back to local dealer.

Phoned them on Sunday asking best price. Told as we told you Saturday.

Rang again on Monday morning and spoke with sales manager. Asked again as said wanted the car but told that he would have to check with dealership owner later in the day. No call back on Monday. Nothing on Tuesday. Decided to look elsewhere and now proud owner of new CRV 1.6 i-dtec 9spd auto ex model. Discounted by £7k. All in all cheaper than best discount on RAV4. Couldn't refuse. Toyota dealers loss. Just can't understand lack of interest. One phone call to say looking into package would have helped keep us onside.

Interestingly, salesman telephoned this afternoon to see if still interested in RAV4 hybrid. Told him what had happened. All he could say was that he wasn't in Tuesday. I asked what about Monday? Waiting on owner was the reply. So why not let me know? Couldn't give an answer. 

Anyway had 6 good years with RAV.

Had Hondas before so looking forward to them again.

Peter

3 minutes ago, peterat8 said:

Toyota dealers loss. Just can't understand lack of interest.

Because atm they really can sell every one that they can actually get at a higher profit than you were willing to allow them - demand exceeds supply due to the earthquake issues in Japan earlier although production now should be back up to speed.

The car that you have bought is quite a bit different - 1.6 turbodiesel versus a 2.5l petrol hybrid. How is that Honda for your towing concerns?

Agree they can sell every one they get but the lack of communication disappointed me. Not the way to run a business.

Honda has max tow of 1500kg against RAV 1650kg. Our caravan is 1265kg. Engine is twin turbo of 158bhp and 258lb ft of torque so plenty of low down grunt.

Cr-v will have really good deals at the moment because the shape will be changing in September 2016 or March 2017... They are clearing stock..  I did like the Cr-v and the quality seemed very nice but.... It will be an older model very soon... . 

Here's the deal I found on that car away.. Just in case it helps. Inc met paint. 

Screenshot_2016-08-03-23-23-43.png

Anyway, enjoy your new car. :D

Once you've had it long enough & used it in enough situations to form a reasonable opinion/discover it's pros & cons please post back.

So far there have only been 34 rav 4 hybrids with TSS registered in 2016... 

Demand outstrip supply... Prices stay high. :sad:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links